Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Mopar Ignition (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/mopar-ignition-6320/)

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 07:06 AM

Mopar Ignition

Ok Im at it again. I have a 67 Coronet with a 340. I have not been able to get it started. I have spark at the coil but not at the plugs. I have swapped out the ballast resistor, starter relay, ecu, coil, pickup coil, cap and rotor, plus ohmed out the ignition switch. The distributor setup I have in it is the Mopar Performance P3690430 Vacuum Adv Electronic Dist. I only have 6.33 volts on the positive side of the coil with the key on, is this enough? 12.43 on one side of ballast and 6.33 on the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to get a new reluctor tomorrow.

Thanks

sweeperking 05-26-2010 07:22 AM

If you got spark at the coil thats half the battle, if no spark at the plugs all that would leave is the rotor, cap, plug wires and plugs

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 07:25 AM

ive replaced cap and rotor?

Archer 05-26-2010 07:29 AM

texas -

At the risk of being a $m@rt@$$, how's the coil wire (to the distributor) ... or its connectors?

Check the dist. end of the coil wire, if that's getting a spark, has to be in the car/rotor.

Archer

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 07:38 AM

Im open to all suggestion's. I have placed a spark tester between the coil and the cap. I do get a spark. When I gapped the reluctor I did use a steel feeler gauge, could that have messed something up.

sweeperking 05-26-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Archer (Post 45743)
texas -

At the risk of being a $m@rt@$$, Archer

I like that Archer

But any who, if you have spark at the coil wire (wire end checked at the end that plugs into the distributor cap) then I would go back and double check for spark at the plugs. Use a extra plug one that is not installed in the engine, ground to motor block, crank engine and look real close. BTW your suppose to use a brass feller gauge to gap reluctor but if you say you got spark at the coil wire something has to work.

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 08:26 AM

no spark at the plugs.

Archer 05-26-2010 08:33 AM

texas -

So you have spark coming into the dist, but nothing coming out?

Sorry been out in the sun for a while and my brain may be fried.

Archer

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Archer (Post 45749)
texas -

So you have spark coming into the dist, but nothing coming out?

Sorry been out in the sun for a while and my brain may be fried.

Archer

Yes sir, thats whats so strange. I have spark at the coil wire. but nothing at the plugs (checked multiple plugs) figured it was cap or rotor I replaced them and still no spark. Earlier I stated I used a steel feeler guage to gap the reluctor at .008 could that have caused a problem somewhere? I really appreciate everyones help.

Polaradude 05-26-2010 08:46 AM

Have you cranked it over with the cap off, Perhaps the rotor isn't spinning.:D

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 45751)

checked that Polaradude its spinning!!

sweeperking 05-26-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 45751)

The rotor has to be turning unless not mounted all the way on the shaft, by the making and breaking of the field in the coil this is how the spark is created. and the making and breaking is being made thru the reluctor passing thru a magnetic field (contact points opening and closing, old style) Texas, assuming everything here is accurate it has to be rotor, cap, wires or plugs now maybe the rotor aint turning on the end of the distributor shaft for some reason although I never heard of this, try slightly bending the brass end that sits under the center terminal of the cap, make sure that is a good connection.

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 09:14 AM

Is 6 volts at the coil enough? maybe a bad cell in the battery?

Barfly 05-26-2010 09:22 AM

Certainly not from experience but.....

I don't think your ballast resistor should be dropping 6 volts ie.. 12 in and 6 out. When I bought my truck the ballast resistor was wired wrong and essentially was not in the circuit at all. The engine ran good but the ignition coil got really hot and would fail.

Like I say I may be wrong but it seems to me the ballast resistor would be "current limiting" in this circuit. There will always be some voltage drop acrossed any resistor but I don't 'think' it should be by half.

I will stop short of suggesting jumping the resistor out, but you may want to try replacing it or at the very least find out what the ohm reading should be, and test it.

I will test mine tonight and let you know what it reads.
Good Luck.
Joe.

sweeperking 05-26-2010 10:19 AM

Your ballast resister, if wired correctly, is bypassed during cranking and starting. Remember you did say there was spark at the coil center terminal but if only six volts are at the coil with the ignition turned on I would look for a bad connection somewhere between ignition switch and coil. You could always bypass the ignition and run straight power to the positive side of the coil while cranking (this is one way to hot wire a car by the way) do this with the ignition switch in the run position if the car starts you probably got some bad wiring.

Polaradude 05-26-2010 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Texas67coronet (Post 45752)
checked that Polaradude its spinning!!

Ok cool. had to ask man.:D

Polaradude 05-26-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sweeperking (Post 45753)
The rotor has to be turning unless not mounted all the way on the shaft, by the making and breaking of the field in the coil this is how the spark is created. and the making and breaking is being made thru the reluctor passing thru a magnetic field (contact points opening and closing, old style) Texas, assuming everything here is accurate it has to be rotor, cap, wires or plugs now maybe the rotor aint turning on the end of the distributor shaft for some reason although I never heard of this, try slightly bending the brass end that sits under the center terminal of the cap, make sure that is a good connection.

Oh, what about if the shear pin is gone ? ? Would it spin then ? Oh and thanks for electrical 101.

Hey Texas, are you running 2 pin or 4 pin resistor ? Also are you running the orange or chrome box ?

sweeperking 05-26-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 45767)
Oh, what about if the shear pin is gone ? ? Would it spin then ? Oh and thanks for electrical 101.

Hey Texas, are you running 2 pin or 4 pin resistor ? Also are you running the orange or chrome box ?

Not sure what shear pin your thinking unless your thinking a split distributor shat and if so the upper half which the rotor sits on would also contain the reluctor (if HEI) or breaker points (if not). I thought i read some where in this post it was HEI but cant find it now but the principle is the same. If it is HEI it would be a four terminal resister, if contact points it would be a 2 terminal resistor.

1966sportfury 05-26-2010 04:24 PM

lot of moisture in the cap? try spraying the inside of the cap and parts with wd 40. or or maybe sumthing is grounding out inside the dist,

Texas67coronet 05-26-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 45767)

2 pin ballast and the orange box. I have a spare from Napa also which is blue.

Barfly 05-27-2010 04:37 PM

I measured 1.4 ohms (resistance) through my ballast resistor. I am not sure if this is a good reading other than I don't seem to have any trouble in this area. The measurement was taken with no wires attached to the resistor.

Good luck.
Joe.

badsport 06-14-2010 10:55 AM

.08 to 1.5 on the balast resistor.

rdrunner1974 06-14-2010 12:34 PM

Reluctor gap

Brass is recomended because of the magnatic "pull" will give you a false feel. Plastic may also be used. You should have 7-8 volts at the coil. The resistance of the ballast must be matched to the coil being used. Is your coil wire good?
Check the link for info on coil and ballast. I have trouble shooting link also if you need it.
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/electronic.html

will d 06-20-2010 07:21 PM

grandpa says make sure your engine ground is tight, and your body ground

Barfly 06-20-2010 07:30 PM

You know, as simple as that sounds, I bet granpa is on to something!

1966sportfury 06-20-2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Barfly (Post 48393)
You know, as simple as that sounds, I bet granpa is on to something!

i had that problem would fire even at the pluge but woulnt start, and all it was, was a loose ground wire from the block