Please help. Think I have a bad control module

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help. Think I have a bad control module

This is a 1996 van with the 3.9 v-6. No spark condition. I have replaced the crank position sensor, distributor parts (pickup, cap, rotor) and the coil. I have tested the crank sensor with my meter and it gets 5 volts and does the on / off 5 volt output. The ground tests good with meter set to Ohms. The coil gets about 10.5 volts continuously when cranking.

I also took apart the fuse box, checked the connectors underneath, tested fuses and relays, swapped relays around.

When it failed. It was idling while I was offloading lumber. At first, I thought it has simply run out of gas. It isn't driven much.

This is an old, beat up van but I need it to work for my old, beat up lifestyle. I don't want to just junk it. These control modules are not cheap. If anyone has any ideas as to what could be going on, I'm all ears. I'll be eternally grateful.

One more thing: When I took off the distributor cap, one of the screws broke. I took off the distributor and drilled out the stump of the old screw on my milling machine. In the process, half of the lobe that the screw threads into broke off so now, one side of the cap is held on by a jerry-rig of galvanized re-bar wire. It's nice and secure but I don't know if this could make much of a difference. I don't want to withhold information.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Check to see if your getting Pulse at one of the injectors you can get too? That will tell us if we are actually get and out put signal... If it has Injector pulse, then it has a tach signal, That just means we are going to chase an Ingition issue or a Fuel issues, and you can lay low on the PCM at the moment..

Also.. Did you check it for a broken timing chain? Just checking that we are not chasing a mechanical issue? Engine is sound? Rite?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:07 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply. No. It is definitely a no-spark issue. I should have stated that I eliminated a fuel issue by spraying starting fluid into the air valve and hooked up a spark tester in the ignition at every conceivable point. I also observed the rotor spinning round while I cranked with the cap off. I can also smell gasoline after cranking it.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:05 PM

It was indeed a bad control module. Replaced it and it fired right up.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Very sad how much bad stuff we get now days...