Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Remove or not remove? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/remove-not-remove-9283/)

olibass1 04-17-2011 11:13 AM

Remove or not remove?

I just picked up an Edelbrock RPM intake manifold for my 360 and I was wondering if I needed to remove the distributor when I install it? I have an old Edelbrock streetmaster on it right now which has a clearance area around the distributor, as does the RPM. Any other tips for this swap would also be appreciated.

1badvaliant 04-17-2011 12:17 PM

I don't remove it there no need to if you are just doing the intake,

440roadrunner 04-17-2011 01:12 PM

Also, I don't use the front/ rear seals AT ALL on the intake. I just lay a big bead of siicone down, put the manifold down, and carefully use a towel to spread it and wipe off access.

Barfly 04-17-2011 03:04 PM

Here is a link to a thread I started a day or two ago explaining my dealings with the front and rear seals.

As for the distributor, I took mine out only because I was going to have to pull the plug wires off it anyway as they kinda drape over the rear of the intake and really it is about a 2 minute job and it's one less thing to worry about being in the way.

Joe.

kent 04-17-2011 03:51 PM

There's only two ways for the distributor to go back in. If you look at the bottom of the distributor shaft there's a flat notch which fits into the cam gear. That's the only way I can think of to describe it. Sorry. So if you put it in the wrong way when you go to start it, it will back fire and not start. So then you just turn the shaft 180*. But if you mark every thing before you start should not be a issue. Also mark the wires when you pull them off.
I think you would get along better if you pull the dis and don't forget to plug the hole with a rag.
Have fun and don't sweat it!

olibass1 04-18-2011 06:32 AM

Thanks for hte info and help guys.....It'll probably be a while before I get to doing this....IT'S FREAKIN SNOWING AGAIN HERE!!!

TVLynn 04-18-2011 09:54 PM

takes 5 minutes to R&R the distributor. Makes it much easier to work without it in the way
I would also change the O ring seal

Mopar_71 04-22-2011 07:10 AM

I agree with most to remove the distributor. You can re-check your vacuum pressure and dial in your air/fuel mixture at idle.

Another thing to check is the cables going to the carb. Will the brackets mount on the manifold the same?