Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   switching to electric pump (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/switching-electric-pump-3730/)

craveman 07-28-2009 03:33 PM

switching to electric pump

im thinking of switching to an electric pump on my 85 fifth ave with the 318 in it. just wondering what you guys would recommend for a new pump and how to set it up. my car has a 750cfm qjet on it if that makes a difference.

scotts74birds 07-28-2009 04:07 PM

Why? I doubt fuel delivery is an issue. 750cfm? I hope its a vac secondary, still maybe too big.

Crazy4Carz.Com 07-28-2009 05:07 PM

Why an electric pump? there are so many things that go with that (noise, regulator, return lines) and why such a big carb? your 318 would respond well to a 600.

craveman 07-28-2009 05:35 PM

qjets had a max output of 750. its got small primaries in it and gives me great torque and top end when i need it. vac secondary air valves only let in as much as it needs. actually runs better than a 600 performer did till it was stolen. runs great when its cool or going short distances i never had a problem. when it gets hot it seems like the fuel is cutting out. my mechanic also beleives its a fuel temp problem. not worried about the noise of an electric pump. headers with duals exiting in front of the tires drowns out all other noise.

craveman 07-28-2009 05:37 PM

with an eddy performer i ran 17.20 @ 87mph and the qjet ran 16.53@89 mph my 0-60 with the qjet is around 8.6 seconds so i believe the carb is just right for the engine.

theomahamoparguy 07-28-2009 07:12 PM

no, the problem is what alot of people are having problems with latley, vapor lock due to the poor quality gas (theres alcohol in it or oxygenators). I agree with the idea of runnung the electric fuel pump. Find one that has about 14 -15 psi. (there out there) and then regulate it down to 5-7. The less fuel pressure you can get by with the better with the Q-jet (i know lots about Q-jets). also, go out and get a feul filter with a bypass line.(two big lines and one little). run the bypass line back to the tank [you may already have this on your fifth ave]. Also, reroute the fuel line away from any heat source, maybe place the filter inline with some airflow from the fan. Insulation wouldnt hurt either.
The Q-jet is a great carb when set up right and came on 318's from the factory in the eighties so I dont think it is too big.

craveman 08-02-2009 07:27 AM

i ran a transmission cooler behind the grill for a fuel line cooler and it seems to be working quite well. still may upgrade to an electric pump though. thanks for the help

joeygreaser69 07-05-2011 07:16 AM

WTF

"damn hippies you want organic then eat a damn squirrel and shut your face."
What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Keep eating your pesticides then.

440roadrunner 07-05-2011 08:51 AM

An electric pump will not NECESSARILY cure vapor lock and related problems

Does your vehicle (not familiar with 5th av) have a fuel "vapor return" system?

If not, PUT ONE in there. Wix makes two filters, a 5/16 and 3/8 inline, metal throwaway, which has a third 1/4 return orifice. The 3/8 is 33041, not sure of the 5/16

You can mount them either vertically or horizontally so long as the 1/4" return is on the "up" side

They look like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg