Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Tranny Problems '73 Barracuda 318 (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/tranny-problems-73-barracuda-318-a-717/)

ProEmaster 02-11-2008 10:29 AM

Tranny Problems '73 Barracuda 318

Problem: I was driving along at 35 MPH and the engine RPM went up about 200 RPM and it was as if it went in to neutral. No noise, no warning, nothing. I coasted in to a parking lot (engine still running fine) and am able to move the shifter in to any gear, but it doesn’t do anything.

Quick Tests: The fluid level is good, color is perfect, no burnt smell, no metal flakes, etc. I checked the linkage, which really shouldn’t matter since I was already in “D”rive, and it looked fine from the outside. I put it in park and pulled one of the transmission cooler lines from the radiator and fluid dribbled out w/ a minimal amount of pressure.

Backround: I had the transmission rebuilt less than 1K miles ago by a local transmission shop. I used the old torque converter. I had a B&M shift improver kit installed.

440roadrunner 02-11-2008 10:51 AM

I'm not an "auto man" but it sounds to me like time to find a good auto mechanic.

Since it failed so close to rebuild, sounds like pump problems, to me. Here's a thought: How did you install it? Did you put the converter into the trans FIRST, before bolting up to the engine? It is very easy to screw up the pump if you get rough with it, trying to put the trans into the converter when the converter is on the engine.

ProEmaster 02-11-2008 11:23 AM

Yes, I put the coverter on the transmission before bolting it to the engine. I was very carefull to make sure the converter was pushed all the way back in it's place. I know it's a common thing to throw a converter on and think it's all the way back when it's not.

As some side notes: It's never leaked a drop fluid. If I was to put the converter in incorrectly would it not wear out the front seal and leak? I remember the transmission shifting to the point of chirping the tires, but here recently it hasn't been doing it. Although I did dissconnect the kick down from the carb.

Thank you very much for your reply. I plan on doing some more testing on Wednesday. I would like to know if putting the transmission in drive and pulling one of the cooling lines would allow more fluid to flow. If no change, I'll pull the pan and see if there are any restrictions on the filter.