TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Old 11-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
It's hard to say.

If I remember correctly--and it's been awhile, it's difficult to get the fork in "wrong" but check the following, which you should be able to see with the bottom cover and the fork boot pulled out, maybe a lamp and mirror

Check carefully that the fork is in place, both on the pivot, and the TO bearing.

Check CAREFULLY that you did not break the snout of the transmission which the TO bearing slides on. This has happened to me twice--on my '70 and on my old '64 426

Did the trans go in hard? Is it possible that you "hung" the transmission weight on the clutch disk splines, and damaged the clutch disk?

How about the pilot bearing/ bushing, what shape do you spose it's in?

Are you certain that you got the trans bolted up nice and square, with no dirt or other debri between the face of the trans and the bell? (Might'v fallen from the bottom of the car!!)

Have a friend work the clutch as you observe underneath. You should be able to slide a feeler into the disk/plate clearance, in fact with the car in high gear and jacked up, you should be able to turn the driveshaft as the clutch is released.

How about who worked on it? Are they reputable? With these rigs getting older, did anyone use substandard replacement parts?

Is it hard to engage into all 4 gears? Does reverse grind?

Is it at all possible that some debri fell into the pressure plate? Years ago, I had a '70 Cuda with a 440 near the end of my Navy days, and never got it sorted out, long story. That car ran into the 11's in three gears, slow shifting without the clutch working correctly. I had the clutch in and out several times, and FINALLY discovered that an inferior disk was leaving shards of junk down inside the pressure plate and was getting jammed between the pressure plate and the cover--binding the plate and keeping it from moving far enough to release clean. Mud, sand, or other foreign debri could do the same.