440 intake manifold - gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
440 intake manifold - gasket question

My intake manifold was leaking on my '72 440 big block so i tore it off and bought a new valley pan and gaskets. When i pulled the intake apart and pulled the old valley pan, i found only form-a-gasket around the ports and on the intake. Now the question comes for re-assembly. I got 4 intake gaskets when i bought a set.

Am i supposed to use 2 gaskets per side on my 440 big block? One under the valley pan and one on top of the valley pan. Or am i upposed to not use Abby gaskets? My valley pan is embossed with grooves around the ports if that helps
Old 03-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Welcome to the site T-Bone...
Hears the deal... From the factory. Ma Mopar only used the steel/tin valley pan with the intake tin gaskets and sometimes only with a very light sealer. Thats when all thing where new.
What it sounds like happened, Is someone has replaced the intake valley pan before and just applied a small amount of sealer to make sure everything was sealed up tight.
What you have, is the valley pan performance kit that comes with gaskets to fit both sides of of the valley pan on the intake side and cylinder head side.
Too Answer your question... Yes you use all 4 gaskets as you stated. 2- on the head side and 2- on the intake manifold side... Also dont forget to add some sealer to the front and the back sides of the valley pan before installing the end clamp supports. Do the corners with a good amount. Make sure all the surfaces are good and clean.
I use the GM Gray sealant... Just my preference...

This is my 2 cents on the deal... Welcome to the site.. Keep us posted on how you come out with your repair...
Old 03-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
On a stock cast iron intake I'd use just the valley pan and rtv. On an aftermarket intake I use the gaskets also, just glue them to the valley pan but it makes fitment a pain so I've had a few thousands removed from the intakes.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:20 PM

So, i believe i have a cast iron intake (was a SOB to pick up and out of the engine bay). I assume this is the original intake manifold but do not know for sure because i have no idea who the PO was or how to contact them.

anyways, since this is cast iron, should i treat it as original from factory? Im pretty sure someone replaced it before and they used some form of form-a-gasket without any actual gaskets. Should i do the same and just use the form-a-gasket provided with my valley pan and return the actual gaskets? Or should i still install these on my intake?

im sorry for the dumb questions. Im just a 27 year old who has loved muscle cars since i was young and i want to get my '60 dodge dart up and running again. Also as a side note, im not tackling this solo. My father is being a huge help with this car.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Well I'll tell you how I would do it
others might not agree, clean all matting surfaces making sure nothing gets in the motor. I test fit the valley pan, with the end fasteners in. I set the intake on in the proper location and give it a thump or two with a large deadblow hammer. This will help with the final fit of the valley pan, then remove and install with sealent and gaskets if you want. The fact that your having trouble sealing the intake, I would try using the gaskets, if you have trouble with bolt alignment try using just one gasket one the bottom of the pan.

One word of caution, don't get sloppy with the rtv including the stuff your removing, one chunk in your oil can take out your motor! I bought a Dodge for the 440, the valve covers had been gluded on with rtv, long story short rtv in the oil pump, blue crank and rods.........

Have fun

Last edited by Iowan; 03-27-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Iowan
Well I'll tell you how I would do it
others might not agree, clean all matting surfaces making sure nothing gets in the motor. I test fit the valley pan, with the end fasteners in. I set the intake on in the proper location and give it a thump or two with a large deadblow hammer. This will help with the final fit of the valley pan, then remove and install with sealent and gaskets if you want. The fact that your having trouble sealing the intake, I would try using the gaskets, if you have trouble with bolt alignment try using just one gasket one the bottom of the pan.

One word of caution, don't get sloppy with the rtv including the stuff your removing, one chunk in your oil can take out your motor! I bought a Dodge for the 440, the valve covers had been gluded on with rtv, long story short rtv in the oil pump, blue crank and rods.........

Have fun
thank you for your advice. I put a towel in the valley before i removed the old form-a-gasket. I will look it over before i reinstall stuff. The last thing i want to do right now is a complete engine rebuild.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a wet vac get it out!
Or borrow one!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan
If you have a wet vac get it out!
Or borrow one!

lol. We were smart and laid a towel in the valley before we even started to scrap the old stuff away. If i find pieces, I'll break it the shop vac. Both of us are going to scour the area for imperfections that might be causing the leak and for debris left from the cleaning.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator