Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Rear Ends (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   64 torqueflite will not Park (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/64-torqueflite-will-not-park-23172/)

jackster 04-26-2020 05:21 PM

64 torqueflite will not Park

I cannot get my 1964 727 trans to park. It shifts and runs fine but there is no park. I have tried adjusting the cable, but nothing.
The cable comes out of the transmission housing quite far, maybe up to an inch and I think that is abnormal.
Any ideas? Do I have to pull the trans?

RacerHog 04-27-2020 07:16 AM

Jack,
I will answer your questions here...
1964 Chrysler Newport>>>> I am going to go with one of two thing that goes on with these a lot.
My first thought is that it has broken and or stretched the cable. Providing something has not broke outside of the cable within the transmission or up at the push button mount.
The other issue we see is that the Shifter Mechanism needs to be taken out and serviced and cleaned and Re-Lubed along with the cable. (Do not force the buttons)

One way to find out if the problem in inside the trans? Remove the cable from the trans and see if you can move the lever into park. If it shift fine at that point. then you know its the cable or the Shifter Button Mechanism needs servicing or has an issue.

Keep us posted .... Good Luck...

jackster 04-27-2020 07:52 AM

park not working

Bob,
I took the dash apart and the push buttons are working just fine. The cable is attached and the park lever works freely. I am not sure what you mean by take the cable off and see if the lever works?
If i take the cable out all the trans fluid leaks out. But I have released the cable at the trans and can pull on it. It pulls out about an inch or so (leaking freely) but feels attached inside the trans. yet no park function.
I am guessing the spring is broken inside the trans or the parking sprag itself is sheared off, but that seems unlikely. I did have this at a shop where they replaced the front brakes with disc brakes.
It's possible when they were driving it they threw it into park when it was still moving and sheared it off, but seems unlikely.

RacerHog 04-27-2020 02:04 PM

OK... Understood that you have looked it all over... Here is a couple reads for you.. >>>>>
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.c...tech-tips.html

You mite be rite in the case that the Parking Pawl could be broke. You might have to remove the trans to look at it. Not 100% sure if you can see it with just the pan off? It's been a while sense we have been in one and just cant remember 100%.

jackster 04-27-2020 03:51 PM

park problem

Thanks. I think I'll just take to a shop. My guess is it is a broken pawl and it'll need to be removed.

Appreciate your help

Edderds 02-07-2021 07:46 PM

I have a similar problem with my 64 Belvedere

When the car is cold all pushbuttons work fine, after driving for awhile and heating things up, the reverse button will not engage, all buttons
all other buttons work fine. Let it set over night everything works fine, drive it, reverse button wont engage. Button box is good. Cable is adjusted.
What to do???

Edderds 02-07-2021 07:48 PM

I have a similar problem with my 64 Belvedere

When the car is cold all pushbuttons work fine, after driving for awhile and heating things up, the reverse button will not engage,
all other buttons work fine. Let it set over night everything works fine, drive it, reverse button wont engage. Button box is good. Cable is adjusted.
What to do???

Iowan 02-07-2021 11:32 PM

If your linkage is properly adjusted its possible that your transmission needs to be serviced and adjusted.

Edderds 02-09-2021 05:45 PM

reverse button

what could heat up, inside the trans or outside the trans, that would cause the
reverse button to not engage...Thank You,
Edderds

Iowan 02-10-2021 11:50 AM

It may not be the button but the transmission itself not working properly after it has been run.

eyedouglas 10-31-2021 12:59 PM

Hi i'm having the same exact troubles with my 64 Dart, you ever find a solution?!