Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Rear Ends (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   727 shifting (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/727-shifting-15172/)

440 aspen 06-26-2013 11:28 AM

727 shifting

Hey guys, I just rebuilt my 727 and it shifts just fine except for 2-3. it shifts but its like it slips when it does shift. it holds all the gears just fine but it revs up at the 2-3 shift at any speed. is this an adjustment problem or something wrong here?

Phatchanz 06-26-2013 04:06 PM

My first reaction is that something didn't get put back together properly. There can be quite a few things that can cause this.

Did you rebuild the Trans yourself, or did a shop do it for you?

Entropy 06-26-2013 10:36 PM

Without more info on what you did or what you didn't do, it would be a bit hard to take a guess at what is. I've rebuilt about eight 727s and a few 904s and never had this problem after a rebuild. Were the clutch packs replaced with new friction plates and checked for clearance, were the bands adjusted properly, and was anything done to the valve body?
tc Will

pro-tech 06-27-2013 06:06 PM

The front band is out of adjustment. you tighten it to 20 inch pounds and back it off 2 turns and lock it with the lock nut. This is the most common adjustment some aps require a little more or less turns. Bill

440 aspen 06-28-2013 10:36 AM

I rebuilt the trans myself with books, videos, and help from a guy that has rebuilt transmissions before. I have all new seals, clutches, bands, and pressure plates. i used a TCI rebuild kit. All the clearences were checked throughout the rebuild. there was a shift kit modification to the valve body. the bands were torqued to spec backed off 2 full turns and the locking nut was tightened. all the gears hold firm and i have no slipping problems. During the teardown/ rebuild, nothing abnormal was found with the exception of the old worn out clutch packs that was causing my slipping in 3rd.