Transmission Jail...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Transmission Jail...

I dropped my transmission of to have it built to handle the HP that I am pushing out of the 360 Duster...I thought I was doing the right thing by having a Pro race shop build it instead of just overhauling it myself...As I don't know all the tricks of the trade.... I wanted to put bearings in place of the bushings a bigger hub for more plates and clutches Kevlar bands, etc.. (999 trans stuff).He also has a convertor shop and can make it stall wherever you want it to stall...(so he says) I dropped it off over a month ago.( for a 2 week stay)...I now get the I'm so busy syndrome... . I am not one that does well when someone tells you one thing and does another... I have no patients for getting a run around...I called him today and no one knew where he was...Finally I found out he was home doing yard work.. Ok if he is so freaking busy then why would you take a 4 day weekend when there is a paying customer waiting for over a month for Transmission that was to only take 2 weeks...I will get a hold of him tomorrow and see if it is done yet if it isn't I will send it to another shop...If it has to go to California or Florida I don't care I just want it done so I can get it off my lift and back together... Sorry!!! just venting I get so pissed at these shops that don't do what they say....Bill

Last edited by pro-tech; 04-21-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
hay man iam all most in the same boat. my 01 dak 42 trans went south last week. the shop iam going to use i have known since 1968. about that time they split the shop to a reg shop and a wholesale distributor. A & Reds sells trany parts all over the world. the reg shop is The Trany Shop. both in wichita , ks. all i have to figure out is when will i get my tax refund.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-tech
I dropped my transmission of to have it built to handle the HP that I am pushing out of the 360 Duster...I thought I was doing the right thing by having a Pro race shop build it instead of just overhauling it myself...As I don't know all the tricks of the trade.... I wanted to put bearings in place of the bushings a bigger hub for more plates and clutches Kevlar bands, etc.. (999 trans stuff).He also has a convertor shop and can make it stall wherever you want it to stall...(so he says) I dropped it off over a month ago.( for a 2 week stay)...I now get the I'm so busy syndrome... . I am not one that does well when someone tells you one thing and does another... I have no patients for getting a run around...I called him today and no one knew where he was...Finally I found out he was home doing yard work.. Ok if he is so freaking busy then why would you take a 4 day weekend when there is a paying customer waiting for over a month for Transmission that was to only take 2 weeks...I will get a hold of him tomorrow and see if it is done yet if it isn't I will send it to another shop...If it has to go to California or Florida I don't care I just want it done so I can get it off my lift and back together... Sorry!!! just venting I get so pissed at these shops that don't do what they say....Bill
I feel your pain, but...I say give the guy a chance. Meet him face to face and ask him what's up. While the customer is always right, sometimes the small business owner snaps and just needs to rake his lawn. Just sayin'. I do hope you get your car back together soon, The Charger spent 4 months last summer waiting for (and blowing up several) a transmission.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 AM
Mopar Lover

Moe, I'm not sure what a tax return is??? I had to pay in $3800 and not sure why still....Something about my wife making to much money .. We have since adjusted our dependents so we should possibly get a return next year..

Mr.4spd, I do understand the time off needed by a small shop owner being one myself.. The big problem that I fear is now that I have dropped it off and people ask me why I don't have my car out on these nice days we have had, and I tell them that the transmission is at the shop being race built... Then they ask where I took it.. When I tell them they say that they had one built by him and it didn't hold up....I give everyone a fair chance and hope, because I took the extra steps to tell him that I want it to be able to handle the HP, that it will.. To many people try to cheap out on stuff and then cry when it doesn't hold up to the abuse that they give it...Bill
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Hummmmm.... "Jail"...Hahahahahahaha Too funny Bill...
Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Mopar Lover

I'm nervous for you, Pro-tech. My first transmission guy last summer "saved me some money" even though I told him not to, I wanted it built right. Blew it up 360 miles later. He rebuilt it again and I blew it up 51 miles later. Jamie Passon rebuilt it in the end, (after Aamco also took a whack at it, blew that up too). Good luck man.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
I hear this more in the automotive performance industry, I don't get it.

With us if there is a delay due to parts or any reason we keep our customers informed, that's how we keep our customers.

With all the hoops we jump through to keep customers happy, if I got the treatment you described I'd be loosing it.

Dan.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
I hear this more in the automotive performance industry, I don't get it.

With us if there is a delay due to parts or any reason we keep our customers informed, that's how we keep our customers.

With all the hoops we jump through to keep customers happy, if I got the treatment you described I'd be loosing it.

Dan.
And that is exactly how I run my shop...This guy keeps giving me the run around...He doesn't want to play this game with me, He will lose trust me,, But if he does good by me he will win... I know way to many people for him not to feel the recourse from this if it doesn't turn out well and vise versa... I will never sent another person to him if he doesn't get it done this week...I already told him that if I knew it was going to take this long I would have went else where... I cant have it taking this long in a customer situation... Luckily it is mine and who knows what he will end up charging me?? And I am loosing it But trying to give him a chance to get with it... The last thing I want is a hack job. ..Bill

Last edited by pro-tech; 04-22-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Time to be up front.... I need it by the end of the week... Yes or No????? !!
Call him and tell him you couldn't wait and got a Cope trans....lol Sorry !!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by RacerHog
"Cope"?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
http://coperacingtrans.com/
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
I have always figured ? If you want it done right ? DO it yourself
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by TVLynn
I have always figured ? If you want it done right ? DO it yourself
Cant happin Lynn... My wife say's I'm a "Half Azzer"....lol
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Mopar Lover

I am going to call him/the warden and see whats what and if he gives me the run around I'll call John and just get one from him...I'll tell him you sent me... How does he get the core back or will he build mine...Bill
Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Mopar Lover

IT's only a 12hour drive one way for you Bill....Put it on will call.. lol
If I remember. John send them on a create, then you just re create yours and ship it back.
If you call him, Sure tell him I sent you,
Tell him what you got and what you want to do and ask for what he thinks is you best options.
Johns a Mopar Guy, I'll bet when you get done talking to him, You will be like,
Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
IT's only a 12hour drive one way for you Bill....Put it on will call.. lol
If I remember. John send them on a create, then you just re create yours and ship it back.
If you call him, Sure tell him I sent you,
Tell him what you got and what you want to do and ask for what he thinks is you best options.
Johns a Mopar Guy, I'll bet when you get done talking to him, You will be like,
While I have never had one of his tranny's I have done business with him and found him to be top notch..... Ships when he says he will and ships the correct parts.... Mack
Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Update::::::I talked to the Warden and he said the reason it was taking so long is because he wants to build it for me for little or nothing...He said it was all apart and all cleaned but he wants to build it for me and Dyno test it.... He knows that a lot of people value my opinion and doesn't want me to have any problems....(I have sent him a lot of customers and he wants to repay me)I told him I just want it back and never said I wanted it for nothing... He told me he was just finishing up a transmission that is going into a 2000 HP dragster and after that he would get mine done...He also said if I just wanted a 904 built for the street it would have been done in a day...I will keep you posted...I hope he got the message that I want it back soon....Bill
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Mopar Lover

Thumbs up Mack......

Good to here Bill..... Hope it comes back and your 100% satisfied...

Last edited by RacerHog; 04-23-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Mopar Lover

I might just order a transmission from John and install his and just shelf the one my guy is building.. Copes prices seem very reasonable I wish I knew about him before I took mine to this other guy... .I will see what happens in a day or 2 I don't have a lot of faith right now in him...Everything he said yesterday could of been just lies to buy him time...Bill

Last edited by pro-tech; 04-24-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Well still no Transmission.... I took your advice Bob and emailed John at CRT and gave him what I am looking for.. I haven't heard back from him yet (sent it late in the day Friday) I am pretty convinced I will be buying a transmission from him. if we can come to a price and solution to a good build... I have lost all faith in my guy and don't trust what he will build for me anyway.. I will just buy one from CRT and let the other guy get the trans. back to me whenever and just not say anything and never use him again.. keep the peace sota speak. If I told him what I thought and to just give it back now it would be in a box in pieces and who knows if it would be all there.. What an *** this guy has turned out to be...He will never get another referral or job from me ever.. Bob I did mention to John that you sent me.. I am so ready to get this car back together... I went into the garage today and there was 2 puddles in front of the car under further investigation I found they were tears, the poor girl was crying thinking that I had forgotten about her. After a long talk and a few California Duster wipes she calmed down and stopped crying.. And when I told her she was getting a Cope Racing Transmission She starting to leaking in the rear, she was peeing with joy....Man this makes me sound crazy and I am, crazy about fast cars.. And hate when they are down...Bill
Old 04-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Ok... He knows to look for you e mail....
The following users liked this post:
pro-tech (04-26-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Mopar Lover

I talked to the Warden today (from the transmission jail) and he said the prisoner would be released this week..(1st week of May) He said he was going to gut the 904 and put 999 guts back in with all new red eagle clutches and steels kavlar bands and new upgraded band struts... He also got all the information on the cam, tire size, gear ratio, and estimated Hp.. For the convertor build. I told him I wanted 2800-3000 rpm stall.. He told me everything was blue from the heat.. (not from me I would guess) I only put less then 500 miles on the car most of which was working the bugs out... So once again the guy on e-bay lied through his teeth that it was a fresh rebuilt transmission... He still wont give me a price... which scares me because I don't want him to come back with some outrageous price that is way out of wack ...Bill
Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Mopar Lover

So.... That means you get the lower 1st and 2nd gear ratio.....
Guess he might put the 4.2 lever in it?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Mopar Lover

So.... That means you get the lower 1st and 2nd gear ratio.....
Guess he might put the 4.2 lever in it?
What is a 4.2 lever???? The lower first and second gear with a 3000 rpm stall converter is not going to be good it is already tricky to drive.. All I have to do is touch the gas and it spins the tires.. I guess it is time to get some 15" rallies and get a bigger and stickier tires the 225/60R14 Comp T/As are to small any way by todays standards...Bill

Last edited by pro-tech; 05-01-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Help with making the 2-3 overlap go away..... Most of yours might have already been cured with the Valve body Mod....
Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Mopar Lover

It did have the 2nd to 3rd rev like Snakes RR but it did go away with the band adjustment and Turbo-Action (cheetah) manual reverse pattern valve body.. It is the end of the week and no call... No Big surprise there... And now all the local friends ask me how the transmission shifts/works...You know the type Funny guys,, we all deal with them at times.. Hopefully I will be done soon.. Like before Fathers Day there is a BIG car show that weekend and I missed it last year due to my heart surgery.. I want to be there this year and will kill him if he holds me up.. Bill
Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Mopar Lover

So I got the call today that my transmission is done...All new guts upgraded to a 999 and the converter is now a 2800-3000 rpm stall.. I pick it up tomorrow and will install it hopefully and give you all an updated of how it is... It cost me $1000. to have it done.. He said he would take care of me... Is that a good price???? It has been a long time since I've had a transmission done I usually do them myself... Bill
Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
VERY GOOD Price
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Darn good price....
Now lets see how it dose????
Old 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Mopar Lover

I went over to pick up my Transmission this morning and he forgot to bring it to the local shop from the shop 50+ miles away... So I said I will go pick it up in Albany.. He said oh you don't have to he is sending it on the shuttle truck this morning...I will call you as soon as I get it here...(I'm like sure this is a line of **** and I was pissed I was thinking all this and like WTF is wrong with this guy) I was there at 8:15 am and at 11:30 still no call... Mind you he was on his way already from about an hour away...So I called him he said its here, I said so why didn't you call me,, Oh I thought you were going to call me he said...Ok whatever...Anyway I got it and installed it in an 1.5 hours and even had to shorten the exhaust over the axle to except the Flow-master delta 44s.. I took it for a road-test and have no 3rd/drive...I was so pissed at this point I floored the bitch and ran it up to 7000 rpms and really didn't care if it blew or not.. It didn't,, and still was not shifting to third... I stopped for fuel and when I got back in to leave it shifted great.. And the stall converter he built is awesome and woke the car up like you cannot believe... On the way home all of a sudden I heard a high pitched screeching sound.. Now what I thought I just drove it the rest of the way home 3 miles and found the nut on the alternator was gone and the treads are wiped out.. So I picked up another on for $40 with a year warranty... So all is well the ends well... But the car is scary to drive on the street I have to be real careful Dusters come around real quick......Bill

Last edited by pro-tech; 05-08-2014 at 04:41 PM.