Transmission shudder question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission shudder question

I have a 1979 Cordoba with a 360. When shifting to 3rd gear around 45 mph the transmission will shudder for a few seconds then it smooths out.

Any ideas on what is going on? I'm hoping it's just a matter of adjusting the bands.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Yes, adjust the bands and change fluid and filter. Fresh fluid can make a big difference if it's 35 years old.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan
Yes, adjust the bands and change fluid and filter. Fresh fluid can make a big difference if it's 35 years old.
FWIW fluid and filter are 6 years old with about 4k miles, but as long as it's in the transmission shop I will have the fluid and filter done too. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
If the tranny has a lock-up converter for better mileage, I'd say the friction surface is gone.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rooty
If the tranny has a lock-up converter for better mileage, I'd say the friction surface is gone.
If that is the case, what will it take to make it right and what might it cost?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
rebuild time, 1200 or so
Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I believe the lock-up clutch is internal with in the torque convertor and signalled by the ECM above a certain speed and at a light engine load. To be certain if you have a lock-up convertor, check with a tranny shop. I had an Old's that did the same thing and ended up pulling the fuse so it would not engage. See if you actually have a fuse in your Cordoba - it'll be marked "transmission". If you don't have a lock-up convertor I'd think the band is worn, not engaging fully or out of adjustment which usually shows up as late engagement when first put in gear. The feel of the shifts are an indication of the problem. A rebuild may just be in order but be cautioned buying a used one from a salvage yard - it could well be worse than yours. If it shudders only on third gear engagement I'd think the band and servo need looking at. Surprisingly, rebuilding tranny's is really a simple job if you have a master kitt and a decent selection of tools. The biggest issue is getting it out of the car without killing yourself.

Last edited by Rooty; 05-20-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rooty
I believe the lock-up clutch is internal with in the torque convertor and signalled by the ECM above a certain speed and at a light engine load. To be certain if you have a lock-up convertor, check with a tranny shop. I had an Old's that did the same thing and ended up pulling the fuse so it would not engage. See if you actually have a fuse in your Cordoba - it'll be marked "transmission". If you don't have a lock-up convertor I'd think the band is worn, not engaging fully or out of adjustment which usually shows up as late engagement when first put in gear. The feel of the shifts are an indication of the problem. A rebuild may just be in order but be cautioned buying a used one from a salvage yard - it could well be worse than yours. If it shudders only on third gear engagement I'd think the band and servo need looking at. Surprisingly, rebuilding tranny's is really a simple job if you have a master kitt and a decent selection of tools. The biggest issue is getting it out of the car without killing yourself.
Thanks, I'll check and see if there is a fuse for the transmission. The tranny goes into gear quickly and shifts normally for all in town driving. It's only when I get on the highway at 45 mph I have the shudder.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
I don't think the 79 has an ECM.. Hyd controlled lockup.. Adjustment is worth a try. If it needs a rebuild ?? There are many good videos on rebuilding the trans on YouTube A727 or smaller A990/904 are both easy to rebuild.. Just take your time and clean every thing

If it has lockup it will have a tube running across the bottom of the valve body. If you have it out ? The mainshaft will have a passage drilled down it's center.

Last edited by TVLynn; 05-23-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:53 AM

There is an insert in the owners manual that says this: A feature designed to improve fuel economy has been included in the automatic transmission of most 1979 passenger cars built by Chrysler. It's called a lock up torque converter. Not available with heavy duty police or taxi 360 engine with 3.2 axle ratio. Not available with 360 cid heavy duty and high performance engine with a 3.2 axle ratio.

I checked the fuse box and the diagram and I don't see any fuse for the tranny. I should also mention that the car has been sitting for a few years. I just had it on the highway and the shudder is still there but it is not as bad as it was a few days ago. Maybe I will get lucky and it will disappear the more I drive it.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they have an additive called Sea Foam for transmissions ..I know most additives are questionable but I've seen this work ...10 bucks worth a shot.. need to change filter and fluid after using this for about a hundred miles or so to let it work