Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Noise

So my 68 Fury (drum brakes all round & no booster) has developed a squealing noise while braking that i cant pinpoint. It is intermittent and can happen while braking at speed as well as pulling up at the lights. Doesn't seem to matter if the drums are hot or cold either.

I have checked the fluid level at the master cylinder, also pulled the front drums off, cleaned everything with brake clean, checked the shoes, drums and brake cylinders and all appears ok, but problem is still there.

Also should mention that the brakes are working fine, the noise is just very annoying! It seemed to come about after i washed the car but surely any moisture would have dried out by now, seeing as that was weeks ago?

Any help on how to fix this appreciated!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Check the rears also....
Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
On my daily I bought cheep brake shoes, they are made out of semi-metallic materials and do squeak when braking. I think a better quality pad will help on the noise.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I don't know. Squeal can be subjective. Brakes did and do squeal "some" as long as it actually is brake squeal and not something else (important) mechanically

Do you live / drive on dusty dirt roads?

Did you have the drums turned or replaced? Some cars came with coil springs wrapped around the outside of the drum, supposed to help prevent this.

If the shoes are glazed, from heat, this can be a factor. One thing that causes this is poor fitting shoes in over--turned drums. This causes only part of the lining to contact the drum, because the shoes effectively become a smaller circle than the drums

You may have to change the shoes, and go to a better quality shoe.

Is there any chance that you have the primary and secondary shoes reversed?
Old 06-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Even if you replace the shoes and the drums have been turned, the shoe will be set from the rebuilder for standard drum size.. The shoes will need to be arc ground to the size of the drum.. If that is not possible you will have to replace the drums.. Also the better the shoe you put on is not always the answer being that the better shoes will not fade as much BUT they are made of harder compounds and have a tendency of squealing due to being so hard... 440RR brought up a good point the shorter lined shoe goes to the front of the vehicle which is the primary and the larger lining goes to the rear that is the secondary... I have seen all different variations of the way people have put the shoes on...There will always be a short lining and a longer lining on each side.. If your linings are the same size there is a problem and both primaries are on the same side and both secondary's are on the other side...Bill
Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Mopar Fan

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the helpful advice. In response to your questions;

I will be checking the rears this week though I do not think they are the problem.

I do not live/drive on dusty roads, though there are a lot of hills where I live so I do experience a lot of brake fade. So I think the heat glaze is a possible suspect, is there a fix for this?

I have not had the drums turned or replaced since I have had the car and they still have the coil springs wrapped around the outside.

Regarding the primary and secondary shoes, these are fitted correctly... shortest to the front. Pic attached

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Brake Noise-photo.jpg  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Mopar Fan

An update on this...

Looks like the rears were the problem...

A few questions;

I have the 11" x 2" shoes on the rear. Does this have to be replaced with the same or could you use, for example, the 11" x 3" shoe? Or would the drum size have to change also?

Next question, does anyone know where to source replacement rear drums for these cars?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
You could swap But would need the drum and the backing plate and all hardware. Years ago you could just have them re lined arced to the drums. Too many EPA regs today. take some 80 grit sandpaper an rough up the shoe. make sure to lube the mounting point on the backing plate

Last edited by TVLynn; 07-09-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Mopar Fan

Does anyone know if I could use a pair of finned drums of the same size as a direct replacement?