Brake Smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Smoke!

Need help with a brake issue.

I have recently done a brake rebuild of the front and rear drum brakes on my 68 Fury III. Replaced wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, new self adjusters etc..

The issue i have is in the right rear wheel. Whenever i drive the car it smells and lets out a serious amount of heat, like it must be rubbing on the drum or something? Sometimes even smokes!

Anyway i don't really know where to start looking or how to fix, the brakes work and the car stops fine. I do get some shudder and a bit of a squeal from that wheel while driving though. I will also note that this issue was apparent before i rebuilt the brakes, as this side was worn right down much further than the left side.

Has anyone come across this before?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Well, dig in, LOL

First thing to figure out is a few basic things..........

1.......is the hydraulic system causing this? Make some stops near your garage area or neighborhood, then wast no time getting it safely in the air. Crack the bleeder and see if there is considerable hydraulic pressure. See if you can hear the shoes release

2......Do you use the parking brake? Inspect the system carefully from end to end. Is it releasing? Anything binding? Inspect the cables. If there is any question, disconnect the cable and figure a way to tie it up or remove it so the rear cables are unconnected, see if theres a difference

3......You sure it's the brakes and not the wheel bearing? Is a seal leaking fluid?

4......Maybe get a helper. Start with car cold, sat awhile. Jack it up and see if both rear wheels turn freely, and can you detect any substantial dragging. Have your helper apply the brakes, can you hear the shoes "working"? Try both sides and compare.

5.....Did it EVER work right, or did this just start? You changed shoes or drums lately?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Make sure the left rear is working. Did you turn the drums ? Maybe drum too thin ? Rubber hose from body to axle collapsed
Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

Turns out the park brake cable is causing the issue. I disconnected it from the lever that connects to the shoe and now everything seems to sit right.

My next question... how do I fix this lol?

Is there some sort of adjustment I can do, or am I looking at new parts?

Thanks for your helpful responses.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Not specifically familiar, but usually you can just look over the system.

Usually, parking brakes have a "main" cable coming from the lever inside down to some point underneath, with a "Y" off device sometimes called an equalizer, which allows the rear cable to balance to each side.

So it's a matter of examining all that to be sure it's free

MY guess is that the trouble is right in the troublesome wheel cable. These get internally rusted and corroded. You might have to remove it and 'rig' a way to get penetrant down inside. One trick involves the way some guys lube motorcycle cables. You get some scrap hose. You select a short piece that will fit snug around the outside. You may have to slice it to get it on. Then select a larger piece that will snug over the top. Clamp that all with hose clamps, and "rig" your penetrant so you can get pressure into the device

Another way is to put some penetrant / oil / etc into a plastic bag, a good strong one, and tape/ zip tie it onto the cable, then upend and squeeze

Last, you will need to pull the drum and inspect the shoes / hardware for anything stuck / corroded there.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
You've obviously done something wrong in your rebuild - mixed leading and trailing
shoes, didn't turn the drums, failed to replace e-brake cables, assembled them
wrong, set them to high -who knows. Take the wheels off remove the drums and
do it right this time because your life and those of others is on the line.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
just the simple adjustment off could do it. you DID use anti-seize compound on ALL the threads? DIDNT you?