DIY vs Premade wiring harness

Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY vs Premade wiring harness

Getting ready to redo all the wiring after i paint my 1973 dodge dart.

A couple questions.

If i use a MSD ignition system will i be able to get rid of my factory balast resistor, ignition module etc?

Is making my own wiring harness as hard as people are telling me? How good are the painless wiring harness kits (eg 21 circuit mopar wiring kit)

My other option is re using the old harness from a different same year and model dart.

The car I am restoring now had an engine fire and has essentially no wiring up front due to burning.

Thank you!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
For me, factory wiring is only good for one thing........if you want to retain originality. There are two many problems with the old system, not the least of which is the bulkhead connector and ammeter wiring, and undersized headlight power feeds

I would NOT want to use a different year, unless you figure on strapping both down to a table, laying them out, untaping, and doing a wire by wire comparison, and changing as necessary

I see it as several choices

Repair/ rework what is there

Buy a repop harness "original"

Buy some generic harness and rewire it

I don't care for Painless, in particular. I'm not really fond of Ron Francis. For the money, I don't see it. There are many cheaper alternatives which seem as good. Americal Autowire is one, and someone I know is getting ready to use yet another.

You can buy the packard or other terminals to rework your factory connectors (headlight switch, etc) at NAPA