Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   M-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f86/)
-   -   body lean (https://moparforums.com/forums/f86/body-lean-18338/)

Betty Boop 02-27-2015 05:34 PM

body lean

I have a 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury, 318, with almost 300 thousand miles! Still running great! But I have one big problem - the car leans to the right. Nothing underneath looks wrong. It does not pull to the right when driving - just leans. What could be causing this?

Thanks.

moparted 02-27-2015 05:46 PM

broken parts

Mr.4spd 02-28-2015 05:07 AM

Park it on level ground and put the rear frame up on jack stands. Set at equal heights does the car look right again? Repeat in the front. This narrows down which end of the car to start looking at for wiped parts. My money is on worn out leaf springs.

Betty Boop 02-28-2015 06:34 AM

body lean

Thanks for the suggestions - I will try this method.

DDodger 02-28-2015 08:58 AM

yup. could have been hit and tweaked

could have either front or rear suspension damage

rust? to suspension mounting points

or just plain wear in front end parts such as lower control arm pivots to name "one"

demetri 02-28-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Betty Boop (Post 126818)
I have a 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury, 318, with almost 300 thousand miles! Still running great! But I have one big problem - the car leans to the right. Nothing underneath looks wrong. It does not pull to the right when driving - just leans. What could be causing this?

Thanks.

I had a similar problem with an Imperial. The problem was that the sway bar mounting on one of the control arms was separated. I had it re-welded, and re-engage the sway bar. The car leaned more when driving like that, and of course the back end would come out more when you took curves fast. But in normal driving (i.e., slow or straight line) you could not feel any difference.

Betty Boop 02-28-2015 12:00 PM

body lean

Thanks again.
I do not have any rust. And I have sustained no impact to my knowledge (second owner). I have checked all the suspension components and they seem secure. I do notice the rubber bushings on the front sway bar are all crushed.

BB

DDodger 03-01-2015 10:58 AM

the sway bar does not cause this. You can unbolt the thing on either or both ends and it won't change the way it sits on LEVEL ground

be sure to check the REAR for damage too if the front end has never been rebuilt i'd just tear into it and rebuild it.

pro-tech 03-01-2015 01:21 PM

Look closely at the torsion bar mounts at the cross member... They are noted for rusted cross members and the torsion bar will twist in the cross member causing them to sag...Bill

Betty Boop 03-02-2015 05:48 AM

body lean

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I guess I will just have to tear into it as soon as this winter weather lets up.

BB