Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   M-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f86/)
-   -   lean burn delete (https://moparforums.com/forums/f86/lean-burn-delete-18331/)

evrae205 02-25-2015 08:07 AM

lean burn delete

i've got an 85 fifth avenue with my lean burn acting up was looking for a how-to link or advice on an inexpensive alternative.

car is my daily driver and i hate to give up and find something else since parts are generally quite cheap and the engine is in overall good running condition.

search button has yielded a few threads but no definitive how to's with a parts list.

moe7404 02-25-2015 10:09 AM

i had an 84 ply gran fury. it had a cracked intake. made the plugs look like they have been in the exhaust. swaped the intake. and put the standard electronic ignition system. things to look for. 1. check the back edge of the intake that it clears the distributor before you bolt it on. 2. if going to a 4 bbl get the right cable, bracket, linkage. 2 bbl has diff parts than 4bbl. DONT cobble it up. use the right parts even down to the right washer on the carb pull pin.. 3. no matter which intake DO use anit-seize compound and teflon tape on the water hole threads.. and check heater hose sizes. 4. if going to an aluminum dont put a square bore carb on a spread bore intake with out the right steel plate from edelbrock. 5 do NOT run hose for fuel line. make steel lines like the factory did. 6. and get two new ignition ballast resistors and put in the glove box. on the next NO start just swap it out.

Gorts 5th 02-26-2015 05:40 AM

What is the acting up symptoms ?
how many miles on ur 5th
Im assuming yoi did all the standard checks
plugs
wires
cap & rotor
fuel filter
pcv valve
vacume leaks
loose carb
if u do the swap moes advice is good
You will nd a new distibuter with vacume advance ...
and a two bbl carb ..its been so long I forget the brand name I beleve a rochester ..from some mopar 318 with out the lean burn system.

evrae205 04-15-2015 08:04 AM

sorry late reply

alright i caved and bought a reman computer and many of the symptoms improved.

rough idle still exists and stalling out at stops. however the backfiring completely disappeared. very difficult hard stops has improved as well.

i've checked for vac leaks with a smoke machine and it came back good.

replaced ignition coil,plugs,wires and air filter during a regular tune-up and although needed did not solve the symptoms just minor improvement on fuel economy.

Haven't moved to my cap and rotor or distributor pick-up yet

current symptoms are rough idle stalling when braking or throttling on occasion, intermittent flooding.

I hate to dig into the carb without eliminating everything else.

evrae205 04-15-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gorts 5th (Post 126798)
What is the acting up symptoms ?
how many miles on ur 5th
Im assuming yoi did all the standard checks
plugs
wires
cap & rotor
fuel filter
pcv valve
vacume leaks
loose carb
if u do the swap moes advice is good
You will nd a new distibuter with vacume advance ...
and a two bbl carb ..its been so long I forget the brand name I beleve a rochester ..from some mopar 318 with out the lean burn system.

gonna replace cap,rotor,pcv valve and fuel filter this weekend while i'm doing my u-joints and another oil change. I really don't want to dig into the carb by myself i know very little about them.
anything i cant hook my solus up to i'll need help with.

oldman 03-09-2023 02:07 PM

Is your EGR valve still connected? If it is that could be your problem.