Vehicles for Sale Whole but do not need to be running

For Sale 1968 Plymouth Fury Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Sale 1968 Plymouth Fury Suburban

This car is a PE45 Body Style Number. This a code that the folks at Oldride.com had never heard of, so it's safe to say that this is a rare beast! This car would be a fairly easy restoration, or a great base for a Resto Mod. If you Google the car, you'll find some pictures of the potential it has.

It has a 383 Commando, 2 barrel carb, TorqueFlite 727 3-speed Automatic Transmission, 6 passenger, working AM radio, all trim and emblems are present. The body and frame are good. There is no major damage, with only a few small dents/dings, as should be expected from a vehicle that's 46 years old! There is no significant rust, just a few spots of surface rust where the paint has worn through.

Also included is a 1968 Factory Service Manual, and some uncut key blanks.

The car was in storage for ~25 years. Before I purchased it, the carburetor, fuel pump, starter, alternator, cooling fan, tires, brakes and full exhaust were replaced. As it sits, I have some doubts about the state of the fuel pump, and I think the carburetor is leaking a little. The transmission is original, and shifts smoothly. The TorqueFlite 727 is one of the best transmissions ever built. The car rides nice. The A/C seems to be holding pressure.

The car is 99% complete. Even the glove box is complete!

There is a missing arm rest, and the window crank ***** are not all present (or, at least, are not installed). The switch or motor for the rear window is out. It can be rolled down manually. The lock is missing from the tailgate. The heater controls are stuck. The windshield is cracked top to bottom. The dash pad is cracked, but they are available online. The seats are torn, the carpet is dirty, and there is a hole in the headliner. Some of the interior trim is loose. The spare tire well cover is cracked. There is one missing hubcap, but they are also readily available. The tires are all newer, but do not match. One of the reverse light covers is missing. The turn signals don't work; the left one stays on solid. The speedometer cable either needs to be replaced or cleaned/lubed, as the needle bounces a bit.

I have receipts for many of the repairs mentioned. I have the build sheet, the original owner's manual, the Certicard, etc. I have a dozen of the MTSC Reference books, in PDF format, that I can send to the buyer.

I can’t remember the exact number, but the car is just over 100k original miles! 101,560, to be exact.

I think I’ve covered everything. Look at the pictures; what you see is what you get. I didn't miss anything major that I'm aware of.

I’m a little torn onselling it, but I’m trying to be realistic. I have serious back problems, andmy hands have reached a point where I can’t hold a wrench long enough toaccomplish anything without significant pain. To get the car done, I’d have topay someone to do most of the work. I’m not opposed to paying someone else, butunless I can get the VA (I am a disabled Veteran, recently “upgraded” topermanently and totally disabled) to cough up the $30k+ of back pay they oweme, I don’t see ever being able to afford it.

If you Google the 1968 Plymouth Suburban, there are a few examples of what the car can become. I can’t find it now, but there’s a very nice blue one with a black hood and some good old Cragar Super Sports on it.

Oh, and apparently this is a very rare car. Infact, www.oldride.com didn’t even knowthat this body/style existed. They don’t list a PE45 (http://www.oldride.com/library/1968_plymouth_fury.html)and when I contacted them about it, I was told they had never seen a PE45before.

I'm asking $5200 obo. I'm just trying to get back what I put into the purchase and transport. You can email me at jemerrow@gmail.com with questions or offers.

Last edited by jonm61; 07-17-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Nice old wagon that just needs some tender loving care.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's what it can become We built this from a 60k original 15 years ago
Attached Thumbnails For Sale 1968 Plymouth Fury Suburban-dragonwagon-1024.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
omg, if i were looking i'd ****** that up right now.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:48 PM

I forgot I listed this here, until I got an unexpected email. She's up on eBay now, with more pictures, and a lower price. No bids, but plenty of watchers, so hopefully, this will be done in a few more days.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM

After a number of repairs, it's now running, and back up on eBay. There's more info in the eBay listing as well.