Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   A-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   1969 barracuda help (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/1969-barracuda-help-300/)

danuwells 08-03-2007 11:45 PM

1969 barracuda help

hey i got a 69 barracuda formula S with a 340 and just recently my engine really started to ping to the point where i was afraid to drive it so i stoped driving it. tryed timing it but that didnt help its at about 8 degrees advance which is normal im told i tryed putting higher octane fuel and that didnt help if anyone else has had this problem let me kno cause i really want to get back in my cuda instead of my old trail duster. ps. it happens when i try to get up and go. could the carb no being tunned right cause this. i just recently put new spark plugs points and wires. could the point gap cause this.

Jonah Hex 08-28-2007 12:05 PM

I would start with a good and proper tune-up. Check your new wires for continuity (they should all be real close to each other ), make sure the spark plugs are properly gapped, and that you have the firing order correct. Indexing the plugs won`t hurt either! Put a new set of points, cap, and rotor in it. Gap the points to manufacturer`s spec. If you have a dwell meter, use it to get the points spot on. It is more accurate than just gapping them with a feeler gauge. After that, put a new pvc valve and air filter on it and tune the carb. If the carb. has been on the motor for a few years, I would get a rebuild kit for it, providing that the throttle plate shaft is not sloppy where it runs through the carb body. That should stop the pinging. If it doesn`t, go back, check your timing, and make sure that the vacuum advance is working properly. It should be disconnected when you set your baseline timing.

Jonah

ucfierocharger 08-30-2007 11:45 AM

I dont wanna jinx you, but I had the exact same problem with my 318 charger, and 10 miles after it started doing it badly I snaped a rod bolt. I hope you figure out your problems b4 some major damage occurs.