Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   A-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   stalling 318 (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/stalling-318-a-847/)

DartConvertible 03-16-2008 01:42 PM

stalling 318

I've got this 318 with a holley manifold and holley 4160 4 barrel carb the PO put on. It has run pretty well for the last 700 miles, but the choke stays on too long and too fast. I downloaded the instructions from Holley for adjusting the carb, and tried that. Then, I had problems with starting it, cranking and cranking and then it suddenly fires. I've got the original manifold and Carter two barrel which I want to put back on, for originality and because it seems simpler. Any thoughts on the swap or the running problems are appreciated.

Peter

440roadrunner 03-16-2008 02:04 PM

I'ts been a long time since I've run a Holley 4160, but back then, most of my friends and I "gave up" pretty much on auto chokes on aftermarket Holleys.

Most the Holleys' I've run used manual chokes, and even THEY gave problems, because of the poor design of the fast idle cam. I once spent several weekends in a row---I'm just that stubborn--bending the linkage and filing the fast idle cam to "make" the thing work. This was on one of the double pumpers, probably my 800.

Now, is this strickly a heated choke, or is it electric? How do you have it hooked to the "choke stove?"

DartConvertible 03-16-2008 02:17 PM

Hey. It's an electric choke. Is the "choke stove" the thing in the top of the original manifold with a rod, looks like it heats up and raises the rod to turn off the choke? I can turn it down manually after starting the car, by shoving my finger in the cam and turning it a little. I remember Holleys from years ago, and they were troublesome. I kind of want to dump it, er, sell it and put on the old Carter. Doesn't sound like such a bad idea after your experience, 440.

thanks, Peter

DartConvertible 03-16-2008 02:22 PM

I'm also wondering if the 4160 is affecting the way the transmission shifts, kind of hard and delayed. The kick down isn't connected to the carb.

thanks help with what seems kind of remedial

Peter

DartConvertible 03-17-2008 05:18 PM

late that evening

as I was driving home at about 11, the thing just died, in pretty much the middle of nowhere. I fiddled around with what I knew about, not a whole lot and it was cold out, so I called AAA. Our nearest tow truck is 45 miles away, but the owner is a great guy and was really excited to see my car. We dropped it at the shop in town, and the guy there was also stoked to see it. After going through it, he said it was a later electronic ignition set up that failed. Still want to replace that carb tho.

Peter