Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   MoparForums Rules, News, Comments and Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f92/)
-   -   flat black (https://moparforums.com/forums/f92/flat-black-14954/)

msbhvin duster 05-26-2013 07:35 AM

flat black

Does anybody have ideas or tricks on how to clean my flat black hood on my duster?? Is there anything to use on it so I can dust it and not scratch it?? Thanks!!

inri 05-26-2013 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by msbhvin duster (Post 103206)
Does anybody have ideas or tricks on how to clean my flat black hood on my duster?? Is there anything to use on it so I can dust it and not scratch it?? Thanks!!

Msbhvin,

I have the same issue with my hood. The dust normally collects while parked in the garage. I even have a cover for the car, but the cover appears to have a lot of tiny balls that come off and fall onto the car and hood. They are easily removed from the car with a cloth, but the hood not so much.

I too am curious to see what might help resolve this.

Gorts 5th 05-26-2013 10:40 AM

if this is the automotive flat paint it should wipe clean.
we used a additive that de-glossed the paint the more you added the flatter it became
never touch it with waxes that turn to a white powder this will leave a white stain. hell i don't even use them i use pure carnuba wax
if the flat is from a spray can well there is your problem.

msbhvin duster 05-26-2013 11:35 AM

It was sprayed with the correct flat black automotive paint designed for the car sprayed by the best shop in my area!!

pro-tech 05-26-2013 01:50 PM

I use a California duster, Also use mothers spray wax to dampen a microfiber cloth and wipe it down. Always seems to work and not scratch the finish for me and looks great. How much dust are you talking??? What Im talking about is light dust any more than that I wash the car. I always thought it was called matte black which is more semigloss than flat. Flat black is like primer very porrous/rough and I could see where that could cause problems. From the factory I believe they where decals and were alot easier to care for. I might be wrong but I see decals listed for the Duster hoods.

Gorts 5th 05-26-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by msbhvin duster (Post 103219)
It was sprayed with the correct flat black automotive paint designed for the car sprayed by the best shop in my area!!

what does the shop recommend to use?
pro tech has a good suggestion.

msbhvin duster 05-27-2013 07:10 AM

I believe u are correct on the matte black. I will try the wax on my cali duster. I'm talking just a slight dust like just from driving down the road!!

78D200 05-29-2013 02:20 AM

Any flat color is going to be porous and will hold onto dirt, dust, water, etc.. Ask the shop what they actually sprayed. Was it flat, matte or satin? Did they spray a satin/matte clear coat on it as well? I painted my old Honda motorcycle satin black (looks just like flat but without the pores) and then sprayed a satin clear coat on it. After letting it cure for 21 days, I was able to wax it and never had an issue with water spots or dust/dirt sticking to it.

Do you use a shammy after washing it?

Mother's make some great products too. That is all that I have used on all my vehicles for the last 8 years and won't use another else.

Skwerly 05-29-2013 10:05 AM

i'd probably go the duster route, too.

msbhvin duster 05-30-2013 10:36 AM

Yes I shammy it after washing and it looks great for awhile!!!:swinging::swinging:

78D200 05-31-2013 02:19 PM

You could always just not let it get wet. :lol2: