Engine overhall

Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine overhall

Hey everyone, I would like to get some thoughts. I am a student at UCM in Missouri. I have a engine overhall/preformance class I will be taking next semester. My plan is to rebuild the engine out of my 2012 ram 1500. It has the 5.7L. I got the truck for dirt cheap because it has 165xxx miles on it, but it is in perfect shape. My plan for the engine overhall is a 410 stroker kit from Arrington, phase 6 heads from Arrington, comp 274 cam, 6.1L intake manifold, 65lbs injectors, and JBA long tube headers with catless mid.That's pushing my budget already but I think I can make it work. Does anyone know roughly how much HP and TQ it would be making or any suggestions to help?
Thanks! Marcus
Old 09-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
I would think that Arrington will have actual numbers for you.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
https://www.shophemi.com/p-1169-410-...roker-kit.aspx

https://www.shophemi.com/p-1877-57-h...s-phase-6.aspx

Welcome.

Nice stuff, does the shop you'll be working in have crank balancing capability?

My thoughts are this, even though I have built several engines and have a good level of automotive skill and a licensed Mechanic Son, we send our short blocks to my very good machinist. I have learned as an old licensed tradesman that having the experience at any discipline is invaluable. I don't want to be all negative but with that lay out of money I don't think I would even trust myself and Son, we have agreed we like the guy who's been doing it everyday for 30 years.

If you have good experienced instructors that support this then yes go ahead. When it comes time to assemble the rotating assembly don't do it in a busy noisy class environment. Do it rested, clean and undisturbed.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
https://www.shophemi.com/p-1169-410-...roker-kit.aspx

https://www.shophemi.com/p-1877-57-h...s-phase-6.aspx

Welcome.

Nice stuff, does the shop you'll be working in have crank balancing capability?

My thoughts are this, even though I have built several engines and have a good level of automotive skill and a licensed Mechanic Son, we send our short blocks to my very good machinist. I have learned as an old licensed tradesman that having the experience at any discipline is invaluable. I don't want to be all negative but with that lay out of money I don't think I would even trust myself and Son, we have agreed we like the guy who's been doing it everyday for 30 years.

If you have good experienced instructors that support this then yes go ahead. When it comes time to assemble the rotating assembly don't do it in a busy noisy class environment. Do it rested, clean and undisturbed.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:42 AM

Sorry about the top message, new to this site, for the first one, I haven't called Arrington yet but I will he some time this week to see what that say. Then for the second. I do have a really great shop that is going to punch out the block and will balance the kit for me or I could get the kit balanced from Arrington. The shop said if I get it balanced they will check it over to make sure it is perfect. My instructor is a very knowledgeable man and he thinks I should go for it. The class room setting is not a rushed or noisy environment, very clean shop.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
I agree... Arrington will have some basic numbers for you.... You are more than likely going to need one of the Reflashed or have yours Reflashed or up dated ECU's to make good use of all that power... And might just need a differant Throttle Body to Boot... Arrtington or Accufab... Keep us posted... Take lots of photos and share if you can... This kind of talk takes me back to my old days of when we built stuff in school.. Wish i had more pictures and the internet back then.... Holly Molly. We could share some stuff... lol.... Welcome to the site...
Old 09-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Engine overhall

I'll try my best to take pictures and keep everyone updated. I'm pretty excited for the build. I would like to get a 90mm throttle body and a cold air intake to finish it off. After that I will be getting a custom tune. Once everything is done I would really like close to 500hp and 520Tq, but I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Spend your money on the short block first !! You can always get heads later if money gets short
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusSitko
I'll try my best to take pictures and keep everyone updated. I'm pretty excited for the build. I would like to get a 90mm throttle body and a cold air intake to finish it off. After that I will be getting a custom tune. Once everything is done I would really like close to 500hp and 520Tq, but I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the advice!
Should be good numbers.