Most elusive 76 Duster ever!

Old 09-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most elusive 76 Duster ever!

Hello and thanks for your time!
For one to understand my commitment to this car one must first know the frustration in acquiring this car!
My family car as a kid was a 76 duster ( 86 to 98 )..... I remember all the details about this car top to bottom - every dent and ding had a story behind it..... In 99 family illnesses took over and I was placed in Dhs custody for adoption...... I was adopted by 2 of the greatest people on this earth...... I grew up and the duster become a forgotten memory....... until about 10 years go (2006ish).....
I was living in Eufaula ok and working in Tulsa ok.... one day I took an alternate route home. I ran across this car lot with real vintage American Iron - nothing newer then late 70s and as old as a 1928 ford A pickup....
What was more amazing was - everything ran and drove (somewhat) - (Survivor) kinda stuff - not perfect but alote or life left in it...
I stopped and got to talk with the owner (older man in his 70s). He informed me that there was a ton more around back and everything was for sale.... around back I found AMC hornet javelins and Rebels - comments coronets Chevettes and Chevelles..... wait for it....... 3 duesenberg model js............
Amongst all the gold and diamonds set this ugly 76 duster that seemed all too familiar.... after giving the car a few look overs and speaking with the owner about - I was sure it was the same car. He said the car came to its current resting spot in late 99 and has set ever since..... I talked the man into letting me make payments of 300 a mth until the sum of 2800 was paid.... so from there on - ever third Friday I drove 50 miles out of my way to make a payment.... one particular time I took a battery with me and some tools to run a compression check - I started from the front and worked my way back on each cylinder - boy did I get a shock when the car Roared to life on the 4th cylinder.... it didn't even so much as smoke....
So I continued my payments - about halfway through the payments - I found out I was eel and needed certain treatments that would restrict me from continuing work...... by the time I got well the owner had moved on and sold the car.....
I eventually got over it and moved on.... (didn't hold a grudge on the owner - it was business)...
Years went by and once again in (2013) the car appeared on Craigslist...... once again I make an attempt at buying the car (only to be beaten out once again) someone else had already set up a time to look at it. Needless to say they bought it.....
So once again I moved on and just gave up on the idea of getting the car back......
Until about 2 weaks ago when browsing Facebook for sale sites.... the car made another appearance - this time for 1000$ in my price range - I immediately contacted the guy and he said he had someone coming the next day but if I got there first he would sale to me...... literally aftet getting off the phone i jumped on my motorcycle (I left so quickly the gf thought I was leaving her) lol..... 200 miles later I got there and managed to talk the guy to 650...lucky I had a buddy in the area who I swindelled into picking up the car and storing it until I get down there with a trailer and truck to bring it back...... on the way home my phone died - I ran out of fuel 30 miles away from nearest fuel stop.... that was alot of fun - pushing a 500 pound motorcycle up and down the hills of oklahoma..... lucky I only had to push half way before I guy stopped and took me and the bike into town to get fuel!

So the plan!
Iv been debating on running on the /6 until it just won't go no more and in the meantime buidling a 360 magnum engine with a manual valve body 727.... either way the engine swap will be the last thing I do.
My first goal is getting the best ride quality and stopping power I can!
Starting with -
(Brake rotor conversion) front end.
Steering and suspension upgrades.
Maybe a rear end swap.
Once that's done - I'm gonna straighten the body to perfection and repaint......
After all that I'll either build the /6 or do an engine swap....
I want the car to boogie (14secs) in the 1/4 or better.
I know some slant6 engines wear good to build and others wear not good for much then stock.

Any advice on -
Engine options
Front end conversions
Steering and suspension?
Interior up grades?

Pics coming soon!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Great Story.... I thought in 1976 it would of already had disc brakes?
Get it home and see if it moves even? Then go from there....
Welcome to the site...
Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Great Story.... I thought in 1976 it would of already had disc brakes?
Get it home and see if it moves even? Then go from there....
Welcome to the site...
I did start it up and move it around on the guys property - r and d still there.
Brakes are soft - has a exhaust leak at the manifold. But that's my plan get it home and go from there. Thanks bud!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Welcome.

Sounds like a solid plan. I would modernize the car as much as possible, how about air conditioning?

For the Magnum, are you going F.I. or carb?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Thumbs up

With your perseverance you will have a cool ride that's for sure!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
Welcome.

Sounds like a solid plan. I would modernize the car as much as possible, how about air conditioning?

For the Magnum, are you going F.I. or carb?
Car is a factory ac car - I plan to update it.

I was thinking about going efi - I know msd has the atomic fire kit for almost any engine now! I think it would be cool.
Iv even considered a modern trans with a trans controler but Iv heard it hard to best then 727.