Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   1967 2bbl Carburetor problem?? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/1967-2bbl-carburetor-problem-1788/)

67coronet440 11-11-2008 06:17 PM

1967 2bbl Carburetor problem??

hi,

My name is Shane and I have a '67 coronet four door with a solid lifter 273 V8. It is all original and it has 67,000 original miles on it. I use it to drive to and from college which is about 30 miles round trip. It has always run super smooth, but I recently have been having problems with it. It started running rough at idle and part throttle while in park or neutral, but when I would get going down the road, you couldn't notice it. Being that the accelerator pump in the carb had been not working, I decided to rebuild the carb hoping it would fix the rough running problem. I took my time and completely disassembled the carb, thoroughly spraying and blowing it clean. The rebuild did nothing except fix the accelerator pump problem. It was doing the same exact thing, no better, no worse. What could be causing this? The rebuild kit consisted of a new accelerator pump, new needle valve and seat, new steel check balls and of course gaskets. I was thinking that maybe something is wrong with the jets or metering rods, not sure how you tell.??? Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions. Thank you:cool:

Shane

67coronet440 11-11-2008 06:24 PM

I left a couple important things out of my intial post. I just wanted to add that before I rebuilt the carb, I put all new, sparkplugs, wires, distibutor cap and rotor, condenser, and points (properly adjusted to .017"). That would eliminate any of that kind of problem. Also, after the rebuild and after it was concluded that the rebuild did nothing, I tried a used carb from a 80's 318 and it run smoother than ever!! Don'y know how I could have left that out!:p So I have been running with that carb for the past week. I think that's all I have to say now. Once again, I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks
SHANE

78D200 11-12-2008 08:02 AM

Have you checked the timing and compression? Could be the jets and seats in the carb are just nor working properly. You may have left something out or not adjusted/tuned the carb right. Maybe its getting too much fuel or not enough.

Do you know what the differences are between the two carbs? Since it is running nice again with the 80's carb, I'd leave it one and sell off the old one.