Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   318 engine swap in my 66 coronet (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/318-engine-swap-my-66-coronet-539/)

66coronetgirlie 12-17-2007 11:01 PM

318 engine swap in my 66 coronet

I'm back. The oil pump went out.:o lol and as it turns out, I'm getting a running (I think its a 68) 318 4bbl with trans, for christmas :D YAY. So anyway, I'm going to do the swap myself. I just put a new radiator in it, so from what i know, the water pump is interchangable from the A to LA, so I can keep my radiator. Other than that, what do I need to modify or change in order to do the swap? engine mounts? tranny mount? not sure what tranny is attached to it, I just know it's a working one (automatic), do I need to relocate the battery? All, the little helpful insights that you might be able to think of.
This way, I can drive my car (YIPPEE!) and rebuild this poly and stick it back in later.
Got any ideas to keep me out of trouble? Or common problem areas you can warn me about? Help me be careful so I don't break my new one! LOL. It's coming with a cherry picker and engine leveler... if only i knew how to use those 2 tools properly (I've only seen it done with a forklift!) .. hmmmm... LOL
thanks a bunch
~holli~

moparsforlife 12-18-2007 01:03 PM

uhhhhhhhhhhhh...hmmmmmmmmmmm...i would say you would need new motor mounts and possibly another transmission crossmember or mount. the only way you'll find out is when you pull the poly and lower in the newer style 318 which isn't as wide as the poly 318. it shouldn't be a very difficult swap and things should line up pretty good seeing there will be a ton of room in the engine compartment. just my thoughts... so good luck with your coronet.

440roadrunner 12-18-2007 07:06 PM

I don't know if the engine mounts will fit. If not, you will have to round up the mounts and "mount to engine" bracket for a '67 318

The bellhousing is the same. You will probably use your old transmission, if it's in good shape. The 'new' trans should work but may be the wrong length

I hope you have exhaust manifolds for the "new" 318, and you may have to fiddle to get exhaust to fit. If the engine came with a "y" pipe, you are probably OK

This should be a pretty simple swap. the wiring should hook right up. There might be minor differences--I don't remember where the oil sender is on the old engine, so the old wire might be too short, etc

Either "new" or old starter should fit.

I don't remember, but I think you'll want to use the old converter "flex plate."

What did the "new" engine come out of? Some pickups had rear sump pans, and you'll want a front sump pan.