440 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
What do you mean, "nothing?"

"Super Commando" was a 4 bbl, and "six packs" were---well they were "six packs"

The six pack engines had no exhaust heat riser butterfly, and may have had bigger exhaust manifolds

Six packs certainly had different cams

Six packs came with cast iron dual point distributers, where (at least in '70) the 375 hp only came with stock Chrysler dist.

One glaring difference is that the six pack engines had heavier rods, and were externally balanced.

So far as the difference between a 440 4bbl, and a "super commando" I don't believe there was a "low performance" 440 in those years, except in stuff like trucks and motor homes.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are talking about the naming if I understand correctly. The point made is that it is the same engine, but is named differently by the manufacturer. I have a 440 in my Chrysler but would rather call it a Super Commando than TNT. So to answer the question, the only difference between a 440 4bbl and a Super Commando, is the Car it is in, and the options of that year, other then that the Names are considered by some to denote certain year engines, I believe until 1971.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Mopar Lover

That's correct. Cat got off on mentioning sixpack, and I thought he was trying to say that the sixpacks were also the same. It all is a naming convention.

I actually had a guy tell me once that if he ordered a new engine through Chrysler that he'd order a Dodge because they were assembled better than Plymouth!!

I tried to point out that they were exactly the same Chrysler part number, but he was a stone!!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think thats bad, I was standing next to my Cordoba and some guy wanted to tell me it was a nice Monte Carlo. I said no its a Cordoba see (gesturing to one of the many Chrysler/ Cordoba insignias) and he said no thats a Monte Carlo. I thanked him for the compliment and left it at that but it does say it on the car.
I couldn't believe I was having such a conversation.
I am sure the topic is now going back off course, but the question has been addressed.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Mopar Lover

I can top THAT story, or maybe not.

I sold auto/truck parts, hardware and logging supplies for a number of years.

One day a guy came in with a nice restored 61-62 or so 'Vette, wanting some of the great big underhood vent hose that connects the heater box.

I went out with him to measure it and see what he needed, and of course a crowd gathered.

Some guy spoke up and said "327?"

Yes, says the owner

(I was wondering at the time, why the guy guessed that. He had no idea whether it was a 283, 350, or whether the guy had swapped in say, a 400. Hell, for all he knew, it could be a 307. This WAS, however, before all the big stroker crate engines came out)

Then the "guesser" chimed in with this brainstorm:

"Yeah, yuh cin always tell a 'Vette engine. They's shortblock are just a little bit shorter than the rest of the Shivvy's"

NOBODY said a word. We all just stood there, looking at each other, stunned with the purple cloud of stupidity wafting slowly over the crowd.