Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   66 charger wobbling (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/66-charger-wobbling-20927/)

1971_charger 12-04-2017 01:18 PM

66 charger wobbling

The last time I drove the car, it started to wobble slightly. I took it around the block today and it wobbled a lot at only 5mph. Any suggestions on gettin it fixed. I want to fix it before I store it for winter. I'm very limited on time, I leave for bootcamp on the 10th. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RacerHog 12-04-2017 01:20 PM

Sounds like the tires have gone bad....

1971_charger 12-04-2017 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RacerHog (Post 142210)
Sounds like the tires have gone bad....

front tires are good, replaced both of the rears. I appreciate the reply.

Archer 12-04-2017 01:35 PM

66 -

A better description of the wobble might help. Front/rear? Straight line, turning? Ever "stop" wobbling?

Could be anything from bad ball joints to any other suspension part.

You're going to have to get the car up on a lift and start pulling on things, including the wheels.
Note I said lift.Given the amount of pulling/tugging you'll be going I wouldn't trust jack-stands.

Honestly, since it's a 66, anything that hasn't been recently replaced, probably has to be.

And new tires aren't a guarantee of "good" tires.

Archer

1971_charger 12-04-2017 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Archer (Post 142213)
66 -

A better description of the wobble might help. Front/rear? Straight line, turning? Ever "stop" wobbling?

Could be anything from bad ball joints to any other suspension part.

You're going to have to get the car up on a lift and start pulling on things, including the wheels.
Note I said lift.Given the amount of pulling/tugging you'll be going I wouldn't trust jack-stands.

Honestly, since it's a 66, anything that hasn't been recently replaced, probably has to be.

And new tires aren't a guarantee of "good" tires.

Archer

As soon as you start rolling it wobbles. I think it's coming from the front. I don't have access to a lift. It has a disc brake conversion on the front. The previous owner used a-body parts for the conversion. Since its not b-body specific, could they not be withstanding the weight? I'll try the tires on another car to see if it's the cause.

RacerHog 12-04-2017 05:52 PM

Jack the car up... Check for out of roundness while turning the tires. Thread could be separating, check for a bent wheel, check for a bent axle shaft, Check for a non-seated wheel to hub.
When I first made the statement, I was under the impression that you had checked most or everything else and that stuff was in good working order... My Bad for assuming !!!!

Thanks ARCHER for the save....:thumbsup:

Archer 12-04-2017 07:50 PM

1971 -

If it starts that early, is gotta be something pretty basic. Like Bob said a wheel that isn't siting square should be easy to see. Jack it up so the tire is just off the ground and spin it.
The weight difference between an A and B body shouldn't be an issue, but a poor disk installation could.
And don't over look obvious stuff.

Hey Bob, you saved my neck enough times ;)

Archer

1971_charger 12-04-2017 11:04 PM

Sorry guys, had no time to check anything. Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar issue so I can conserve whatever time I have.

FredHannel 01-23-2018 10:39 AM

Maybe your tires need to be rebalanced. Check if there is some ice build up inside the rims. That could cause them to go off balance too.

Kitzy 04-10-2018 06:05 AM

I had a car do that years ago, It was wheel balance and worn out steering parts.