Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   75-78 Fury/coronet/monaco (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/75-78-fury-coronet-monaco-694/)

jiminwatford 02-02-2008 10:28 AM

75-78 Fury/coronet/monaco

Are these models rare? The impression is that they were everywhere in the late 70s early 80s. Could this be just because of their usage in films and tv shows?

Looking on Ebay i thought there would be dozons but could only find one Monaco.

Are these near extinct? Is it that due to their perceived plentifulness they have been routinely destroyed in action sequences/demoltoin derbys etc?

I love their styling and would prefer a quad light fury over the larger (apparently more common!) late sixties.early 70s barges

440roadrunner 02-09-2008 10:31 AM

There ARE people who restore these, but they don't have the usual collector/ muscle appeal of the "hot" cars.

When these cars were "at the bottom" here in the states, junyards all over the country got into an aggressive "crusher" mode--something that didn't happen before the '70's, so that means that when I was a "kid" you could actually go to junkyards and so on and FIND old cars--something you can't do so much today.

Private back yards are where you will find them. Investigate "cars in barns"

http://www.carsinbarns.com/

68viperedcharger 04-29-2008 11:45 PM

77 grand fury two door hardtop

I have an original two door hartop with only 44k original miles, mint interior exterior original top, it only has a 360 in it, automatic , air conditioning power steering and brakes. You can look at it @ cardomain, or send me your email and I will send you pics.

basically these were all crashed up at destruction derbys. the car was notorious for being indestructible, and also cop cars so some are collected by police officers. The one I have is extremely rare with only 2700 made.

It rides nice. Its kind of like having the later big body Impala/caprice's. But better because its mopar.

If you like mine you can buy it for a fare price. it has professional repaint cut and buffed, with no rust anywhere.

I just got a 68 dodge charger, so Ive stepped up to the big boys..., but My grand fury is almost more enjoyable because I can drive it every day with little worries about it getting damaged or stolen.

Nye Bevan 07-14-2008 10:00 AM

These are my joint favourites too, together with the '69 to '73 C body and would love to own one.

I get the impression that the last few years of production mainly went to the police and taxi fleets and they would have all been withdrawn from service with the original owners at about 3/4 years old, approx. 1979-82 ish. This would have resulted in a glut of them on the second hand market at that time, fairly cheap, so they went as stunt cars/demolition derby racers etc

I have seen two on the road in the UK, both some years ago and both looked superb, I love the style of these cars

What would be the practical difficulties of locating one and importing it to the UK?

Anyone any ideas?

Nye Bevan 08-10-2008 11:35 AM

Following on from this hread, I have just discovered, to my horror, that there is apparantly an annual event in the south called Dukesfest where they still crash B body Monacos/Furys and Chargers. :mad:

By all means have a parade of restored ones and race them round the circuit but dont crash them any more

This has made me all the more determined to buy one and import it to Britain so it will be one less that the organisers of this cant get hold of

Anyone else any thoughts?

challenger 08-10-2008 05:27 PM

RESTORE RESTORE RESTORE AND QUITE CRUSHING THESE CARS <<<>>> wish every one felt this way :( i think they should all be restored if there is anything left of anycar , i relize there are cars out there beond repair but they need to use em as much as a donner car as they can before they do crush them >>> right now everyone that is not into cars and have one out in the yard taking up space it seems they just take them to the steel mill and get the money