Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Floor shifter conversion help (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/floor-shifter-conversion-help-4143/)

dodgecharger72 09-07-2009 01:34 PM

Floor shifter conversion help

I installed headers on my 360 '72 charger with a column shifter and in doing so I had to flip my shift linkage upside down so that I could get clearance (along with about a hundred other things to get clearance:)).
I don't really like the way it shifts since I have done it so I want to just switch to a hurst floor shifter and I was wonderin if you guys had any tips or recomendations on doing it. I have never done anything like this so I do not know where to cut or how to space things out. Thanks a lot guys

Apollo 09-07-2009 02:11 PM

Find another 71-74 Charger with the slaptick 904 tranny setup and just convert everything over.

dodgecharger72 09-09-2009 11:49 AM

That sounds like a good idea except that I have already bought a hurst pro-matic 2 shifter. Is it as simple as cutting the floor pan and bolting everything up? Or am i missing something?

Apollo 09-09-2009 12:09 PM

I think those are just cable operated. It just might be a matter of mounting it in your desired spot and running the shifter cable, neutral safety switch and back-up light switch.

dodgecharger72 09-09-2009 04:20 PM

Thanks Apollo. Just wanted to make sure there werent any secrets to doin it. Hows your car coming along by the way? Im kinda stuck freshening up the interior this month until I get paid and then its on to rewiring it which I'm not looking forward to.

Apollo 09-10-2009 04:17 PM

You got me thinking about the install on aftermarket shifters and i found this. Ive only installed ratcheting shifters in sandrails so I had to check.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/in...=42416.0%3Ball

You can actually avoid the pain of running the cables and utilize the stock linkage with the ratcheting units. Might help . .

As for my Charger, shes sadly been on the backburner. Ive done minor things here and there, but nothing that required more than 30 minutes or so of my time because i just havent had any recently. She runs, drives and smokes one tire very nicely though. Just needs a lot of fine tuning and odds'n ends need to be buttoned up. Ive been dying to get the hood back on so i can see that scoop sticking out, menacingly urging me to drive the car like i stole it. Soon i hope.

dodgecharger72 09-10-2009 06:20 PM

Thanks for the help Apollo I will definitely look into that and I really appreciate your time. And I know what you mean about time. With school and work, and hundred degree temperatures most of the day, time to spend on my car is few and far between.
I must say, your car is pretty impressive, though. It's given me a lot of ideas for mine and hopefully in the next year i will be somewhere close to where I want to be. I've got a 440 block just waitin to be built but it's going to be quite a while before I can get to that with everything else that needs to be done

scotts74birds 09-10-2009 06:30 PM

I agree with the thought of using and aftermarket shifter in a stock application. I had a built 78 Z-28 that I installed a B&M Mega-Shifter into. I loved it!! Great shifter. But they made it only to fit that car and console. I'd like to do the same to my 74RR, but it might take more work than I want to do.

dodgecharger72 09-10-2009 11:39 PM

I have heard from quite a few people at work that installing most cable operated shifters like the hurst I have is as easy as drilling a hole for the cable and hooking it up to the linkage on the trans and then bolting it to your floor. When I read the instructions for the shifter it more or less confirmed this so maybe you could hook us something like this in your car. Im pretty excited to get it hooked up though. I kinda hate the way my car shifts after I flipped the linkage. They also look really cool which has to count for somethin:)

koondawg_74 roadrunner 09-15-2009 04:33 PM

I have a 1972 mopar service manual that our friend bought from a dealer and it has diagrams of both floor and column shifters. I had to make a shifter linkage for my rr. If you might need it, I can copy it on here.

dodgecharger72 09-15-2009 06:38 PM

Actually I have already got it in but thanks for offering. I ended up taking the old linkage out completely and using the cable that came with the shifter