General Advice - new to Mopar

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Advice - new to Mopar

So seven years ago my wife inherited a '67 Coronet 440 (model not the engine). So I packed her away in my garage and just got to her a couple weeks ago. The good news is she has never seen road salt and hasn't spent much time outside of a garage. The undercarriage is in excellent condition and there's no rust thru on any fenders.

I intend to keep her all original to the extent possible. The car was bought in December of 1966 (according to the cool plate/card in a little sleeve under the hood) by my wife's Grandfather so it's a family thing at this point.

Well I replaced belts, hoses, plugs, wires, cap, coil, voltage regulator, battery, and upgraded to a pertronix elec ignition cuz I suck at setting points. She starts and drives but my test drive revealed some brake issues. I don't mess around with safety issues like brakes so I will likely replace the drums,cylinders, and shoes and any springs/clips as needed.

So my question is: Where is a good place to acquire the needed brake components? I have a feeling the neighborhood Advance Auto may not have what I need or may not have good quality. Can you guys recommend a good source for parts for this old lady (the car, not me)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by '67 Coronet 440
So seven years ago my wife inherited a '67 Coronet 440 (model not the engine). So I packed her away in my garage and just got to her a couple weeks ago. The good news is she has never seen road salt and hasn't spent much time outside of a garage. The undercarriage is in excellent condition and there's no rust thru on any fenders.

I intend to keep her all original to the extent possible. The car was bought in December of 1966 (according to the cool plate/card in a little sleeve under the hood) by my wife's Grandfather so it's a family thing at this point.

Well I replaced belts, hoses, plugs, wires, cap, coil, voltage regulator, battery, and upgraded to a pertronix elec ignition cuz I suck at setting points. She starts and drives but my test drive revealed some brake issues. I don't mess around with safety issues like brakes so I will likely replace the drums,cylinders, and shoes and any springs/clips as needed.

So my question is: Where is a good place to acquire the needed brake components? I have a feeling the neighborhood Advance Auto may not have what I need or may not have good quality. Can you guys recommend a good source for parts for this old lady (the car, not me)?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I've found that O'Reilly's and Autozone can at many times carry the parts I need, though I prefer to stick with Specialty companies. This is just my own preference and for all I know the parts may be very similar to one another.

I subscribe to Mopar Action, the magazine, and have found that there are many suppliers that advertise in the magazine. Most of which, specialize in Mopar parts. You'll find, brake lines, electrical switches, engine components, fenders, etc.

I recently replaced the front upper/lower ball joints, front drum rubber brake line hoses and the front hard-line brake line in my '69 RR. I ordered everything from Summitracing. The SS hoses were shipped directly from the manufacturer to my house. Summit carries many parts that in my opinion are an improvement to some of the OEM equipment (SS hoses is an upgrade over stock rubber hoses), and the prices are very good and the shipping is top notch.

I did purchase the front wheel bearings and racers from O'Reilly's. The bearings were in stock and the racer was brought to the store the same day in the afternoon.

I hope this helps in some way.
The following users liked this post:
'67 Coronet 440 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

I noticed you installed a pertronxs dizzy
i went through 4 dizzys one after another
did you talk with a tec from pertronixs about the coil you are using
from what i experienced these dizzys need a specific coil "winding" or the halo pick-up will slowly fade away into none function mode... like after a long trip or just a build up of hours running it.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would go to NAPA and get there best stuff. they have 2 different grades of brake parts. I have never had an issue with there parts if you get the better grade. But thats just my opinion which dates back to many years to disclose lol. Bill
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gorts 5th
I noticed you installed a pertronxs dizzy
i went through 4 dizzys one after another
did you talk with a tec from pertronixs about the coil you are using
from what i experienced these dizzys need a specific coil "winding" or the halo pick-up will slowly fade away into none function mode... like after a long trip or just a build up of hours running it.
I used the pertronix "ignitor" kit in the original distributor. I had already replaced the six volt coil with an Accel 12 volt coil. My research indicates that you either need to run the red lead to the ignition side of the ballast resistor OR run a 12-volt coil. I'm no expert but since I'm now using the 12 volt coil I just ran the lead to the + side of the new coil. I haven't run her long enough to know if this will burn anything out, but she's running good for now.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by pro-tech
Welcome to the forum. I would go to NAPA and get there best stuff. they have 2 different grades of brake parts. I have never had an issue with there parts if you get the better grade. But thats just my opinion which dates back to many years to disclose lol. Bill
Thanks,

This sounds like a plan. My local NAPA has a full service machine shop so I might take all four drums to see if they are worth turning. Then I can get new brake cylinders and shoes while I'm there even if I have to order them. It's not like I'm in a hurry since she's not a daily driver.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

For your assured performance and peace of mind i recommend talking with a tec to make sure you got it solid... believe you me
i had the distributer
my 1st pertonix was bad out of the box
my 2nd worked for a day. Don't use a Blaster coil!
the damn 3rd lasted a week with issues... with the right coil after talking with the tec..
the 4th lasted a few days getting progressively worse thank God i purchased them from summit.
My brother has always used Mallory on his Mopar s and i finally went with his recommendation...
and now personally...IMO the Mallory is a far better design it has more adjustments and tuning than the pertronix offered... but these are distributors.
not the kit.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
i have used the chrysler electronic ignition with good out come. only use the blue or orange box, the others tend to go out. DO get two extra ballast resistors. put in the glove. at the first no start just replace the one under the hood straight off. Allpar has very diagrams

Last edited by moe7404; 06-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.