Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   HELP! losing power, battery not charging (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/help-losing-power-battery-not-charging-3180/)

69Bee 05-31-2009 01:22 PM

HELP! losing power, battery not charging

Alright, I have a 69 superbee and im having some trouble with the car as of late. The car will not hold a charge, Replaced the Battery, Alternator was rebuild, voltage regular replaced, all grounds are good. Checked all fuses, removed one at a time hoping to detect a short. Car keeps dying out any suggestions?

TIA

blue 68 gts 05-31-2009 01:52 PM

How are the plugs?

Plug wires?

Distributor?

Coil?

Coil wire?

-nick

69Bee 05-31-2009 02:13 PM

Coil seems to be working fine, but if the coil is bad could it effect the charging system. Even if the car is running perfect?

Polaradude 05-31-2009 02:15 PM

Hey Bee, is the car stalling out ? or is it loosing charge when parked say overnight ? A little more info would help, and welcome to the forum.:D

69Bee 05-31-2009 02:22 PM

It ends up stalling out, only way to get it running is to jump it, car will drop voltage while idling.
As, far as I know its fine overnight.

richinny 05-31-2009 07:10 PM

is it charging above idle? if so, what does the voltage go up to?

is your voltage regulator flat or a small box?

how many large wires go to the alternator?

how many small wires go to the alternator?

Polaradude 06-01-2009 02:53 AM

It's starting to sound like the regulator/bad ground.

69Bee 06-01-2009 07:39 AM

I checked continuity from neg on the battery to the block-block to the firewall and firewall to frame,all checked out ok.

Power coming out of the alt and voltage regulator to harness junction is good,but seems to get lost somewhere after that

There is also a fusable link that checked out ok that is connected to the starter silinoid
i pulled all the fuses one by one and problem is still there

When i jump start and remove the cables voltage slowly drops until car shuts off
i went as far as using 2 garbage voltage regulators from big box auto parts store and now i installed oem reg .........im going friggen nuts!!

Is it possible that a ign switch or bad headlight switch ect...could be the problem?
I thought the pulling of the fuses would have eliminated any switch that may be bad.

thanks again for your replies

Crazy4Carz.Com 06-01-2009 08:48 AM

Your headlights and ignition are both fused via the fuseable link. (probably not that)

I am only guessing, but I believe the alternator is not putting out enough power at low idle. Jump start the car, crank the idle up to about 1500 (just for the test) disconnect the battery and see if that is OK. My guess is that will keep running and make enough power to charge and run the car. There are different size (diameter) pulleys that come on alternators. My guess yours is sized such that the alternator is spinning too slow to make the power you need. if this is the case, swap the pulley or change to an alternator with a pulley same as spec should be.

Plugs, coil, and ignition parts have no affect on charging.

Polaradude 06-01-2009 09:34 AM

It's probably what Steve said but do you know output voltage at the Alt. ?

Plugs, coil, and ignition parts have no affect on charging...beautiful Steve...lol