Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   How Unlucky? Bad hydraulic lifter (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/how-unlucky-bad-hydraulic-lifter-920/)

62sportsweep 04-05-2008 06:01 PM

How Unlucky? Bad hydraulic lifter

Hi All, Just got finished with a camshaft installation in my 361BB this afternoon. Car fired immediately Revved to 2200 rpm 20min. But heard one noisey lifter didn't want to stop the break-in so continued.
Pulled off r/s valve cover to check Hydr. preload all were perfect except #6 intake. anytime I turned the engine over and the cam lobe under #6 int. opened that valve and brought it to the heel of the lobe there would be 1/8" of play at the rocker arm wait 2minutes and the play disappears.
The Cam kit I used is a 250dur/256 455lift Lunati Voodoo
Even though the lifter is not pumping up right the engine is running very smooth.
Interested to know what you think my next move should be. Call Lunati/Test lifter somehow/ change all the lifters or just #6int. do I use cam lube again?
Appreciate all your comments. Don't want to lose this camshaft even though it's small the car pulled real strong probably because now it's dynamic compression is up to 7.72to1 now.
Thanks Again, Jimi

Mopar Guy in Delaware 04-05-2008 06:28 PM

Maybe something simple like changing the oil, or removing that lifer and put it in fresh oil and push oil thru it, there may be a piece of debis inside it allowing it to leak down until the oil pump on your engine comes up to max flow.

Some lifters or most lifters can be disassembled. They are rather simple to work with and if the have an inital manual adjustment? Make sure that dimension is the same as the otherlifters. IS IT THE SAME HEIGHT ASSEMBLED OUT OF THE ENGINE AS THE OTHERS. It is gonna be alright. I'd still use a lub additive to keep the lobe hardness from wearing off. Some of the processes such as hardness conditions are marginal and a lub additive or oil with such will reduce wear. Once the hardness wears off, the lobe will become round and contaminate the engine with metal and the cylinder will do very little.

62sportsweep 04-06-2008 06:31 AM

Delaware, See your point on the lifter bleeding down.
Don't know if I'm going to ever trust that lifter again but if I see debris in it maybe clean it out and re-use it
Try to save the valley pan might be in there a couple times to fix it.
I think if I can withdrawal the lifter from the bore easily probably no damage to the cam lobe, agree?
What did you mean about internal adjustment? preload was set to .040 thou.on rocker arm, plunger was up against the retainer clip.
Jimi

Mopar Guy in Delaware 04-06-2008 12:31 PM

Cam problems

Hi,
What I meant was the pre-adjustment. Some engines have an adjustment on the head of the lifter, others have adjustable pushrods and your obviously has adjustable rockers almost like solid tappets.
Most new or rebuilt tappets are going to be adjusted to the same height in a given set. They should be checked before installation to ensure there all the same. After that the inital static installed gap is set. The hydraulic lifter, given sufficent oil should compensate for the remainder.
Your No. 6 must not be pumping up until additional oil flow arrives and therefore the engine is smooth at 2000 but may have a shutter or shake and some noise at idle.
I doubt any cam lob or tappet damage has or will occur from the breakin run, but you want to correct this as soon as possible.

440roadrunner 04-06-2008 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Guy in Delaware (Post 2879)
Hi,
What I meant was the pre-adjustment. Some engines have an adjustment on the head of the lifter, others have adjustable pushrods and your obviously has adjustable rockers almost like solid tappets.
Most new or rebuilt tappets are going to be adjusted to the same height in a given set. They should be checked before installation to ensure there all the same. After that the inital static installed gap is set. The hydraulic lifter, given sufficent oil should compensate for the remainder.
Your No. 6 must not be pumping up until additional oil flow arrives and therefore the engine is smooth at 2000 but may have a shutter or shake and some noise at idle.
I doubt any cam lob or tappet damage has or will occur from the breakin run, but you want to correct this as soon as possible.

Yes, 62Sport, please read all that carefully. Your first post indicates (I assume) that you have factory, NON adjustable rockers. The problem may not be the lifter at all, but rather, a valve that's the wrong height, or a worn pushrod or other problem, including the rocker itself.

Do you have adjustable rockers?

62sportsweep 04-07-2008 03:38 PM

Yes, I do have Crane adjustable 1.6 ratio roller rockers.
I'm almost sure that it's just a bad lifter. Wanted to make sure that the cam lobe wasn't the problem so I shined a light down into the valley to see if the lifter was spinning around(it was) but also noticed that it had a lot more oil pooled up on top of it then the other lifters.
Called Lunati about it. They were really good no Questions asked, sending a pair of lifters and cam lube free of charge.
However You want to reflect on this next sentence. Couldn't send me the exact make of lifter no longer available ,told me the new one will look different but just is good. Hope their better LOL