Just picked up a 65 Belvedere II that needs lots of work.. need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up a 65 Belvedere II that needs lots of work.. need some help!

Hey guys,

Im pretty new to the mopar scene here. I just picked up a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II as a fun project car. It has the 225 slant 6 with the 3 speed automatic. I bought it from the original owner, with 95,000 miles. It is a four door car, and it is in VERY rough shape.

It runs and drives perfect (re built engine, new brakes, and tons of other new parts) but looks like complete crap. Tons of rust, interior sucks, etc..

I just need some help with a few things that arent working on here:

1. Only the passenger side rear window rolls down. The driver front window goes down an inch, the passenger side front goes down about the same, and the driver rear wont budge at all. Is there any way to free these windows up?

2. Only the passenger side front door works. The driver front door did work, but now when I press the button to open it it feels like its not catching or something? The rear doors seem to be almost seized shut. Is there any way to get the doors open with out prying them?

3. And finally the headlights dont work.. All of the other lights do (blinkers, reverse, tail lights etc..) but the headlights do not. Before I go out and buy new lights I want to make sure its the lights themselves, and not the wiring. Is there any way to test these?

Basically what I plan on doing with this car is just to make it a fun cruiser/rat rod. Eventually once I find all of the panels I plan on doing a resto.

Thanks in advance.. Heres a few pics by the way.. it looks a little cleaner since I took these lol

Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 AM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

as far as the doors and windows you should be able to pop the door panels off with the door closed, may have to remove the rear seat, from there you can see if there is any problem with the window track or arms. latch theirs a rod that mite of came off you should be able to pull on that to open the door. headlights just pull the plug off the back of the lights and hook them up to a 12volt power source, they are lights and dont have to worry about hooking them up backward,s they will work anyway you wire them, if the work then its either fuse, relay, switch or harness

Last edited by 1966sportfury; 09-19-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Welcome to the forum (from the west side of Warren county), I saw that car on labor day weekend, I was gonna stop , but my wife would kill me if I bring home another project.

You can test the wiring by pulling the plug from the lamp and checking for 12 vdc at the plug with the switch in the on position. Try turning on the high beams,there is a foot switch on the left side next to the brake pedal.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
welcome!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

I will try taking off the door panels some time this week and see if I notice anything.

And thank you for telling me about the foot switch for the hi beams, probably never would have found that lol.

Ill update this thread as I fix the car up. I should have it on the lift sometime this week to replace a few things. Then I guess I will really get to see how badly rusted this car is lol.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 AM

I also found a ton of parts in this car, new fuel pump, new fuel sending unit, new wheel brake cylinder, new shoes, new ignition coil and a bunch of other parts as well. Ive basically been able to identify everything, except these 2 things here.

Here are some pictures. Just curious as to what vehicle these wheel covers belong to, and I am trying to figure out what this mirror thing that has service information on it is..

Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Mopar Lover

welcome!

those hub caps are like the ones on my dart.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Those caps look like 73 and up Dart
Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 AM

Yup just checked and you guys are correct. Dont know why they were in the trunk of my car, maybe he had them as an extra set.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Ok I managed to get the headlights working tonight... turns out both lights were bad. Replaced them and just like that, they worked perfect.

Now I have discovered that my fuel guage works some what intermitently. Do you guys think it could be a bad float or sending unit?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Mopar Fan

If it's intermittently it might just be a bad ground. I'm not exactly sure on the 65's but later years had a ground strap that snapped one end on the fuel sender pipe and the other end to the fuel line. This completed the ground by bypassing the rubber hose. Pull it loose and clean up the ends and the pipes with some sandpaper and snap it back on.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoparOnly
If it's intermittently it might just be a bad ground. I'm not exactly sure on the 65's but later years had a ground strap that snapped one end on the fuel sender pipe and the other end to the fuel line. This completed the ground by bypassing the rubber hose. Pull it loose and clean up the ends and the pipes with some sandpaper and snap it back on.
Cool, ill check into that. I should have it on the lift some time this week to mess around with it. Thanks again
Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 PM

Can you guys point me in the direction as to where the fuse box is on this car? I cant seem to find it.. i know its sad lol

thanks!