Should I buy this??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
That looks like it's worth the 4k, does it come with the original motor/trans and other parts to put it back together?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from the pic it looks cool but you really should check everything on the car looking for rust does it have its hood motor and trans how about interior seats dash gauges if its missing stuff like that theres no way i would buy it for $4000 because it gets expensive really quick with a mopar can you tell us what all it has and comes with it may be worth it but it may be worth less depending what all the car comes with I bought my complete car numbers matching all for $2500 but I have a 72 road runner and i only have to replace a inner fender im not saying its a bad deal but you need to dig deeper on info good luck ill check back
Old 03-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Personally, I think that's too much. We are entering a huge recession and economic downturn, might be one of the biggest in my lifetime. House mortgages are in the toilet. Collector prices will be coming down.

Check CAREFULLY for rust. Don't be afraid to poke around underneath and in the trunk with a screwdriver. Bear in mind that these are a UNIBODY==do not have frames. The body IS the frame, so if the floor is rusted out, it's a good chance that the structural members suffered, too.

Also, since it's obviously "apart" the chances that the owner lost some little doo-dads is pretty large. Hunting these down one at a time can be expensive and time consuming, and for a young guy with no experience with these cars, that can be a real job.

Having the back window out, and out in the weather---is that what I understand?---not a good thing for rust
Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
You say "lots of rust", is it just surface rust or serious cancer and big holes? Minor surface rust is nothing too serious to deal with. You need to check the underside real carefully especially the frame rails and torsion bar mounts. If the motor is apart, it will probably need a complete rebuild, was it stored outside or in a damp area too? I have lots more to ask and advice to give, just gonna take it a little at a time...
Old 03-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Hmm my self I think I would offer him about $2000 granted most of the areas you circled are easy fixes the lower quartes along the bottom usually pretty easy but when you start messing with the roof along the top make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing as far as the engine what motor is it being he has it torn apart it will need parts guarenteed he wont have them all plus what ever you spend to have it blasted and put back together $4000 is way to much are the seats and console all there to be honest a low estimate on restoring a car like this fully to its original condition with no fancy stuff $30,000 thats to make it look good high end estimate $55,000 to $70,000 your talking show room quality most guys go some where in between 30-70
Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Mopar Fanatic

and how is the grill and bumbers are they straight just need a rechrome and glass I could go on and on what youd have to replace but you wouldnt want to see prices lol I have over 5,000 into just my roof and inside you said your 17 and have a 07 and a nova man what am I doing wrong what do you do?

Last edited by Zach8200; 03-08-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: forgot why
Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Mopar Fanatic

In my own opinion the car could be restored from what I can see of the picture 383 not bad but your always are going to get one person saying go for it and another saying its a problem waiting to happen. Being your young and ambitious Id say go for it you have your whole life to put into it when you get some one a little older there not always looking for somthing to restore they want it close or done when they buy I personally would offer a cheaper amount if you decide you want it because of the time and money that will have to go into it to make it road worthy a 1969 road runner have you decoded the vin and if I was you look for a build sheet for the car under neath front and rear seats along with on top of the steering column under dash and taped to the back side of glove box under dash that will usually up the worth of the car after its done take the vin and decode it on the internet it will tell you about the car getting the build sheet will have to be done when you start taking the car apart try to post the pics Ill be checking back I have helped restore several cars its not as bad as people think. hope this will help good luck
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Mopar Fanatic

well if this side is simular to the other side then I would say go for it only because the spots the rust are at are normally common but im not there so I really cant say as far as your trunk floor engine and so on but deffinitly offer less even go on ebaymotors.com and look under 68 69 road runner for prices of unrestored cars but I would think the car would be worth no more than $2500 I have restored a 1973 cuda with a friend it had no glass in it for 10 years and it sat outside through winters and more and the engine was rust the drivers door and rear quarters were badly dented and had rust but i had a extra motor and time on my hands it can be done the car was a complete reck I hope this helps remember the car will take time and money
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Mopar Fanatic

did you find anything else about it? are you going to offer a lower amount?