Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   C-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   1968 Chrysler Newport Custom Starting problem (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/1968-chrysler-newport-custom-starting-problem-14782/)

mrzods13 05-01-2013 04:49 AM

1968 Chrysler Newport Custom Starting problem

Just purchased this Newport. It runs and drives just needs new wheel cylinders and shoes and body work as there is some rust. Most of the rust is in the trunk on the passenger side and I will have to get trunk extenders. Same with the driverside floor. The underneath is solid and undercoated. The tortion bars have no rust or rot anywhere in sight. The problem I am having is starting the car with the key, it turns over if you hot start it. The voltage regulator would buzz when I tried jumping it the first time so I replaced that no luck. I ordered the neutral safety switch being I figured that was the problem. Anyone else have this problem please let me know any suggestions you may have or if you know the fix for this. I only have had the car for 3 days but I want the car to be able to be on the road.

62Furious 05-01-2013 05:14 AM

I don't understand the question fully, but there maybe one of two problems here. If the car starts when you turn the key and than shuts off when you release the key this maybe the BALLIS RESISTOR. If the key does not work at all this maybe the FUSEABLE LINK, they are found on the fire wall by the juntion box The ballis resistor is easy to find, it is a white porsolan block with 2 wires on it, The fuseable lnk is a thick wire at the juntion box useualy with a yellow flag

jacilynn_s 05-01-2013 06:25 PM

The fuseable link is a red wire thick its hard to miss going into the bulkhead. Look at the bulkhead connector if its melted you got wiring problems that need addressing usually caused by a dirty connector/broken connector in the bulkhead or someone put in a stupid radio and didn't pay any attention which is not uncommon.

Coronet 500 05-01-2013 06:39 PM

First, Welcome. Need more info, don't understand the "hot start it" and "tried jumping it".

mrzods13 05-02-2013 04:50 AM

Using a screwdriver with the starter relay to get it started. Thanks for the tips I will check those today. I will update to let everyone know what the problem was.

moparted 05-02-2013 07:14 AM

bad relay or neutral safety switch

bboogieart 05-02-2013 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello and welcome. nice car to start with. They are easy to work on.
I would suggest getting a service manual. It will be a very useful tool for diagnostics, so you won't just throw parts at it. All good advice here.
Have you got any pictures of your car. We LOVE pictures.
here's my 68 New Port.:)