Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   C-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   67 Fury Motor Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/67-fury-motor-questions-4595/)

furyaboveall 11-01-2009 04:31 PM

67 Fury Motor Questions

I have two questions:
1. I changed the oil in my Fury. When the car is idling the oil light flickers but as soon as you give it gas it goes away. So everytime I come to a stop the light just flicks on and off. What could cause this?

2. I was on the highway tonight doing about 65mph. I kicked it down and a big billow of smoke came out the pipes. What could cause this? Bad seals?

Thanks Guys.

furyaboveall 11-01-2009 04:40 PM

Actually it was black smoke that came out. I read this on the Internet. Would you guys agree? I bet it's my carb adjustment.

Quote:
"Black Smoke: Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor.

How did the fuel get into the cylinder in the first place? Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is present, check the engine oil as in the white smoke example to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found."

Skwerly 01-31-2010 10:56 AM

I would change that oil pump QUICK. Mine started doing the same thing and before long the engine was gone. Replace the dummy light with a gauge and see what is actually going on. Make sure your filter is good (and preferably NOT Fram; Yuck!) and all that. :)

JJokr990 02-21-2010 05:45 PM

would backfire coming out of the carb possibly be caused by gas excess gas in the oil?

rexus31 02-22-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by JJokr990 (Post 38707)
would backfire coming out of the carb possibly be caused by gas excess gas in the oil?

No, but excess gas in the oil could be causing your poor oil pressure. I'd park it until you get everything sorted out. If gas is indeed getting into the crankcase and diluting the oil, it's only a matter of time before you wipe out that motor.

theomahamoparguy 02-23-2010 10:07 AM

yes, excessive gas going into the bore will cause rapid ring and bore wear due to the washing effect of the unburnt gas. This is why fuel injected motors go for so many miles. No excess fuel in the cylinders and the use of better ring technology.
So, the smoke could be unburnt fuel and now probably some oil mixed in there too. Engine "leak down test" could be done to find out whats going wrong. (compressed air is pumped onto the motor with the rockers backed off. Careful listening will tell where it is leaking. Also the gauges on the tester will tell the percentage of the leakdown. ) Its most likely rings