Carburetor for my plymouth fury

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carburetor for my plymouth fury

Hi everyone.

My 74 Plymouth fury actually has a V8 360 C.I but now my carburetor is broken. I'm looking for a replacement for it but I don't know what carburetor could be a good option.
Can I use the carburetor from a 318 C.I to replace it?
This is a good option to replace it?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

What do you mean that the carb is broken?
if you need to replace it try a edel avs carb others will recommend hollis and demons but the eddy is easily tunable over the hollie types and it the most similar carb from the oem type on mopars.. at summit racing...Edelbrock 1806 - Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburetors

Last edited by Gorts 5th; 04-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gorts 5th
What do you mean that the carb is broken?
if you need to replace it try a edel avs carb others will recommend hollis and demons but the eddy is easily tunable over the hollie types and it the most similar carb from the oem type on mopars.. at summit racing...Edelbrock 1806 - Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburetors
When I say that my carburetor is broken I refer to the nozzle house of my carburetor is broken so the nozzle don't feet on the carburetor.

A guy say to me that I can use a Holley from a Ford engine on my 360 but I have great doubts about this statement
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Nozzle?

You have a two barrel car?

If so http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Carter-B...346d6c&vxp=mtr is the best choice as the 318 one wont fit.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by jacilynn_s
Nozzle?

You have a two barrel car?

If so http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Carter-B...346d6c&vxp=mtr is the best choice as the 318 one wont fit.
Yes the carb is a two barrel, exactly this Holley 2245: http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums...0-vs.-2245.jpg

Does it carter carb fit on my engine? I try to put this motorcraft on my engine but it doesn't fit because is smaller than the carburetor mounting on the intake manifold
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 387 Likes on 382 Posts
What is your location ?? Sounds like it would be It would either be from a truck motor or from another country ???
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Mopar Fanatic

The 2 barrel intake on a 360 requires a carter BBD 1 1/2. The one you picked before was the BBD 1 1/4 its the 318 version and wont fit on the 360.

Yes it bolts right on to the 360 about the only problem you will have is with the fuel line feeding the carb. Just put an S curve into the fuel line to mount the carb.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
j -

Another option, unless you're trying to keep it stock - looking, is that it would be a nice time to start upgrading to an aluminum intake and a small 4 barrel. Just a thought.

Archer.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Archer
j -

Another option, unless you're trying to keep it stock - looking, is that it would be a nice time to start upgrading to an aluminum intake and a small 4 barrel. Just a thought.

Archer.
But If I upgrade to a 4 barrel my MPG will be a lot smaller than that I already have with the car (about 12.2MPG on city)
Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by josehf34
But If I upgrade to a 4 barrel my MPG will be a lot smaller than that I already have with the car (about 12.2MPG on city)
Yep it would with the holley.

Going with the carter should net you about 18 mpg in the city unless you have a heavy foot. I would however suggest getting an intake gasket kit and unpluging the intake crossover passage.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Yep it would with the holley.

Going with the carter should net you about 18 mpg in the city unless you have a heavy foot. I would however suggest getting an intake gasket kit and unpluging the intake crossover passage.
This kit looks to be some interesting but If you say that I could get 18MPG on city with the carter it seems to be my next carb. But how can be possible to get 18MPG with a big engine, a heavier car and a transmission with only 3 gears?

Thats looks so good that it seems to be unreal.

What do you mean when you say intake crossover passage?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

I have the old hollie two bbl from my 1976 360 i think it would be a direct bolt up or at least you can swap parts from it...
I will check today and take some pictures.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
j -

Maybe not.

If you go from a Holley 500 cfm 2V to a 600 cfm 4v, while running on the primaries, you are in fact going from a 500 cfm to a 300.

When you start getting on it, sure, you'll loose gas mileage, but you'll be gaining in performance. It will also benefit you later on if you do decide to "work" the engine (exhaust, cam, etc, in that order).

Archer
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Mopar Fanatic

This kit looks to be some interesting but If you say that I could get 18MPG on city with the carter it seems to be my next carb. But how can be possible to get 18MPG with a big engine, a heavier car and a transmission with only 3 gears?

Thats looks so good that it seems to be unreal.

What do you mean when you say intake crossover passage?
The crossover passage is a passage that goes from one head to the other under the carb that warms the intake so that the cold fuel doesnt puddle under the carb. Its in the center of both the heads and intake and is probably full of carbon.

As for the gas milage I was being generous at 18. Most people I have done these swaps for get up to 24 mpg highway and 20 in the city on average. Even in a big car such as a 75 royal monaco. Ive seen better with a smaller 2 barrel and better intake but that was on a truck.

Going to a four barrel will not get you gas milage as the engine was not built for a four barrel with the pistons or camshaft.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Mopar Fanatic

The crossover passage is a passage that goes from one head to the other under the carb that warms the intake so that the cold fuel doesnt puddle under the carb. Its in the center of both the heads and intake and is probably full of carbon.

As for the gas milage I was being generous at 18. Most people I have done these swaps for get up to 24 mpg highway and 20 in the city on average. Even in a big car such as a 75 royal monaco. Ive seen better with a smaller 2 barrel and better intake but that was on a truck.

Going to a four barrel will not get you gas milage as the engine was not built for a four barrel with the pistons or camshaft.
Thanks for the help! So I'm going to buy that carter carburetor but this carburetor will fit exactly on the intake manifold or I should modify something?

Is easy to find parts and tune up kits for this carter carburetor?

Last edited by josehf34; 05-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your Holley might have been an after market replacement carb.
I think Chrysler used both Holley and Carter. I myself have only found carters on anything I have owned.
rock auto lists these two carbs for your Fury.
AUTOLINE Part # C6058 $191.99
and AUTOLINE Part # C7108 $284.79
Not sure what Autoline is, probably a re-builders name.

I just noticed your other post and if the 4 bbl was replaced with a 2bbl, first why would any one do that. Second, who knows what is on there, carb or manifold. Do you have any numbers off that carb? pictures? Third, I would most definitely put a 4 bbl back on, even if you have to go after market. As mentioned, a 4 bbl will give you better mileage as long as you drive it easy, once you get into the secondaries you will go faster and use gas faster. Your 74 should probably run the Thermo-quad. Very good carb. A little finicky to tune but once dialed in, it compares with the best. I would think finding a stock intake would be harder than finding a carb. Should make one fine Daily Driver.

Last edited by bboogieart; 05-02-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
a 360 2bbl used a holley, the carter used on the 318 wont bolt to the 360 intake
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by moparted
a 360 2bbl used a holley, the carter used on the 318 wont bolt to the 360 intake
O.K. but the car started out with a 4 bbl then was converted to 2 bbl so who knows whats on there.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I'm a little confused. Here's my Intake manifold carburetor base measures:

Width: 4.5"
height: 2.5"

Screw holes separation: 56.3mm x 99.2mm

does will the carter fits on my intake manifold? I attached some photos of my intake on this post

I made a mistake when I posted that my 360 V8 had originally a 4 BBL. I was checking and talking with the last owner and definitely my 360 came originally with the 2 BBL Holley 2245 from the factory
Attached Thumbnails Carburetor for my plymouth fury-img-20130427-00415.jpg   Carburetor for my plymouth fury-img-20130427-00416.jpg  

Last edited by josehf34; 05-02-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by moparted
love how people dont read.

The carter to use to replace the holley is from the 361 big block. Its the carter BBD 1 1/2. The 318 uses the carter BBD 1 1/4. They dont even look the same.

THe carter bolts right in the only thing you will have problems with is the fuel line will need to be bent as the holley gets gas from the side while the carter is dead center not a big deal. The other thing is the choke rod will need to be bent to fit the carter again not a big deal really as they are almost the same.

I doubt very much someone would put a 2 barrel intake with the egr valve on the engine to replace a 4 barrel. Most 360's did NOT come with 4 barrels from factory as it was an option that many didn't go for.

A good way to know for sure on the engine under the drivers side head is the stamping for the engine. If it was a hp (4 barrel) it would be stamped hp OR the indentification plate under the hood would have a second tag held in by one screw with the codes for a 4 barrel conversion if it was done after the car left the line.

Ie if it was a taxi or police option car it would be tagged with the package which included the 4 barrel carb.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Mopar Fanatic

love how people dont read.

The carter to use to replace the holley is from the 361 big block. Its the carter BBD 1 1/2. The 318 uses the carter BBD 1 1/4. They dont even look the same.

THe carter bolts right in the only thing you will have problems with is the fuel line will need to be bent as the holley gets gas from the side while the carter is dead center not a big deal. The other thing is the choke rod will need to be bent to fit the carter again not a big deal really as they are almost the same.

I doubt very much someone would put a 2 barrel intake with the egr valve on the engine to replace a 4 barrel. Most 360's did NOT come with 4 barrels from factory as it was an option that many didn't go for.

A good way to know for sure on the engine under the drivers side head is the stamping for the engine. If it was a hp (4 barrel) it would be stamped hp OR the indentification plate under the hood would have a second tag held in by one screw with the codes for a 4 barrel conversion if it was done after the car left the line.

Ie if it was a taxi or police option car it would be tagged with the package which included the 4 barrel carb.
Thank you again jacilynn! If I understood you I only gonna need to adjust the fuel line to the carburetor and the carburetor will fits on the intake manifold with no problem.

I'm going to buy it!

Your Holley might have been an after market replacement carb.
I think Chrysler used both Holley and Carter. I myself have only found carters on anything I have owned.
rock auto lists these two carbs for your Fury.
AUTOLINE Part # C6058 $191.99
and AUTOLINE Part # C7108 $284.79
Not sure what Autoline is, probably a re-builders name.

I just noticed your other post and if the 4 bbl was replaced with a 2bbl, first why would any one do that. Second, who knows what is on there, carb or manifold. Do you have any numbers off that carb? pictures? Third, I would most definitely put a 4 bbl back on, even if you have to go after market. As mentioned, a 4 bbl will give you better mileage as long as you drive it easy, once you get into the secondaries you will go faster and use gas faster. Your 74 should probably run the Thermo-quad. Very good carb. A little finicky to tune but once dialed in, it compares with the best. I would think finding a stock intake would be harder than finding a carb. Should make one fine Daily Driver.
Sorry I was in a mistake. I checked with the last owner and VIN number and my 360 came with a 2 BBL Holley 2245 from factory

Last edited by josehf34; 05-03-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Hi Everyone and thank you for all your help

I just find anHolley 2245 to use meanwhile the carter carb arrives.

Now on my plans is to make a carburetor swap in the near future to a 4BBL 650 Cfm and a K&N Air Filter to get a better low RPM performance from my 360 V8. What Intake manifold should I use for this purpose?

Last edited by josehf34; 05-08-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Mopar Fanatic

OK, so now your going to 4 barrel? I thought you had said it was 4 barrel, then converted to 2 bbl... I must have read it wrong.
Anyway for future reference, here is some pictures of the Holley (I think) on my 73 built motor home 360. Might help some one in the future. can't read the numbers here, but I will look for anybody interested.
Attached Thumbnails Carburetor for my plymouth fury-73-360-2-bbl.-001.jpg   Carburetor for my plymouth fury-73-360-2-bbl.-002.jpg   Carburetor for my plymouth fury-73-360-2-bbl.-004.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Hi Everyone and thank you for all your help

I just found a Holley 2245 to use meanwhile the carter carb arrives.

Now on my plans is to make a carburetor swap in the near future to a 4BBL 650 Cfm and a K&N Air Filter to get a better low RPM performance from my 360 V8. What Intake manifold should I use for this purpose?
I have a later 80's stock 318 cast iron 4 bbl intake, but you would more than likely want an aluminum aftermarket deal. I have no experience with these. My only small block that uses a 4 bbl is an old SP-2P I think. Uses a Holley that is pig rich but starts at the setting of the choke and a twist of the key, no matter how long it seems to fit.
Attached Thumbnails Carburetor for my plymouth fury-11.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I want to apologize for my absence from the forum. Now I'm back with this problem again.

I Bought the carter carburetor but I sell it to a guy with a Dodge Demon due to my car mechanic finally repair the Holley 2245 but now the carburetor is broken again.

My Holley 2245 has a leak of gasoline and my car mechanic recommend to me to buy a brand new carburetor due to it was a waste of time to repair the Holley 2245 and could be very dangerous.

I want to have my Fury running again but I'm not sure about to buy a 4BBL carb due to I must buy an intake manifold for it so I'm interested In buy a 2BBL carb like the carter 2BBL carb (I look in ebay but there's no other of this carter carb) that can perfectly match in my stock intake manifold

Please remember: My car is a stock 2BBL I was on a mistake when I posted my car was a stock 4BBL

Which carburetor might be a good option?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Sorry to here about your luck, glad to see your sticking to it. Here is my take on things.

Your #11 post is an option but quite a step up from 2bbl replacement.

Option #1: Buy a new Holley 2bbl with an adapter for your original manifold.
Pros are, new part, replacement parts easy, lots of info to help tune and adjust.
Cons are, sacrifice in fuel economy if not tuned properly, air cleaner fitment.

Option #2: Buy an OEM cast 4bbl and any carb you like.
Pros are, inexpensive to buy, very good manifold.
Cons are, can't think of many, air cleaner fitment.
Holley:https://www.holley.com/types/Two%20Barrel%20Street.asp

One I like and bought:http://www.demoncarbs.com/1900.asp
I really like the stacked primary boosters.

Lastly, if you do decide to buy an aluminum manifold I would seriously think that is the time to think about camshaft and other improvements like your #11. I like the Comp Cams XE256H.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
Sorry to here about your luck, glad to see your sticking to it. Here is my take on things.

Your #11 post is an option but quite a step up from 2bbl replacement.

Option #1: Buy a new Holley 2bbl with an adapter for your original manifold.
Pros are, new part, replacement parts easy, lots of info to help tune and adjust.
Cons are, sacrifice in fuel economy if not tuned properly, air cleaner fitment.

Option #2: Buy an OEM cast 4bbl and any carb you like.
Pros are, inexpensive to buy, very good manifold.
Cons are, can't think of many, air cleaner fitment.
Holley:https://www.holley.com/types/Two%20Barrel%20Street.asp

One I like and bought:http://www.demoncarbs.com/1900.asp
I really like the stacked primary boosters.

Lastly, if you do decide to buy an aluminum manifold I would seriously think that is the time to think about camshaft and other improvements like your #11. I like the Comp Cams XE256H.

Thank you for your recommendation, I really love this car but it seems to be saying to me something like "leave me rust alone".

I donīt want to spend a lot of money on this fix due to I need to pay the body and paint work (About 4300 USD and 4 months of work) But I need to have the car running again.

The Holley 4BBL Kit of the post #11 looks very interesting but I want to tune up the engine when the restoration ends. In this moment I'll be satisfied with the 2BBL carb

Do you have a link for the holley 2BBL adapter? I never see some like this
Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Here are a few, if you search these manufacturers or others you'll find a ton of them:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...large-2-barrel
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Thanks to everybody again!!

The last weekend a friend gift to me other Holley 2245 and my Fury is running again but I got a little problem and I think the carburetor is the guilty of my headache.

Here's the problem: My car idle ok and when I hit all the throttle it runs well but if I only hit the throttle a bit the car gets unstable and suddenly stops

What can I do this time?

Last edited by josehf34; 06-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 387 Likes on 382 Posts
Anyone that says they get 24 mpg with a 360 is lying With todays crappy gas.. 18 maybe

Quick Reply: Carburetor for my plymouth fury