Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   C-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   stuck drum (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/stuck-drum-7391/)

first64dodge880 09-06-2010 11:15 AM

stuck drum

i have a stuck drum on my 64 dodge 880 custom.. i have hit it with a hammer and pulled it from the nuts... lol no luck

thanks guys!!!

rexus31 09-06-2010 11:35 AM

Did you try relaxing the adjuster to move the shoes away from the drum?

Skwerly 09-06-2010 12:03 PM

Did the wheel spin before? Like, is there a chance the wheel cylinder is completely stuck in the OUT position, putting constant pressure on the drum?

Definitely try what rexus said and relax that thing ALL the way.

Silverick 09-07-2010 09:14 PM

Ok. Are you ready? Rexus 31 has it right, as you need to back the self adjusters for the shoes off to release the drum. Here is a twist, and I know because it happened to me.... If you have brake shoes that are not "bonded" and have rivets holding the brake material to the shoe and your shoes are scraping.... The rivets will score grooves into the drum and these rivets/grooves really make it a project to get the drum off. You'll need to back the shoes off considerably more. I got angry that day! lol

first64dodge880 09-08-2010 10:31 AM

lol well guys i been trying from some time because i notice that i have a break fluid coming out... yes i did get a little mad

i have driven the car around the block so i know its not stuck. i have empty a bottle of wd40 on it lol. the brake is realesed and i have tryied it on both side with pull hammer... no luck..

i will try realising the adjuster but ist a pain... let you guys now..

scotts74birds 09-08-2010 06:16 PM

WD 40 goes good on toast, but thats about it. Well, if ya think the wheel cylinder is toast, then try this Snip-off the hold-down pins from the rear of the backing plate. See exploded view. http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...26/26fig6.html This should loosen the shoes from the backing plate, allowing you to reach and remove the adjuster, and completely collapse the brake shoes.

Skwerly 09-09-2010 12:54 PM

That's a pretty good idea. Even I didn't think of that. :D

fivepoint 09-09-2010 02:17 PM

Are you sure its the shoes holding it?, It may be rusted to the axle on the inside diameter of the drum. Try some heat on the drum right near the inside where the axle sticks out of the drum. Then gently pry out on the drum against the backing plate while giving the drum some strikes with a hammer. I prefer Kroil Oil over WD40.

MoparOnly 09-09-2010 05:19 PM

Being it's a 64, if you're messing with a rear drum it could have the tapered axles. Do you see a keyway on the axle shaft? If that's the case you have to use a puller to remove the drum. The factory made a very cool puller with 3 jaws that had a spinner you'd hit with a hammer and easily pull it off.

first64dodge880 09-28-2010 12:20 PM

thanks guys ill try that..

Greaser 09-28-2010 10:34 PM

just wondering, it is the rear drum, and seeing as it is a truck, it is probably a manual, are you doing this with the E-Brake on?? Another tip is if you use a big rubber mallet, and bang the front of the drum in a circle, while pulling it might come lose.