Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   E-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   440 Cuda overheating (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/440-cuda-overheating-21680/)

trez681 08-31-2018 10:08 AM

440 Cuda overheating

I've tried the original radiator and an aftermarket 3-row Aluminum radiator for my Cuda but I'm still having overheating problems. Gotta keep moving or the temperature gauge keeps climbing.
Not running a thermostat so sticking isn't an issue. Have a flexi-fan installed presently.
Considering a 4 row aluminum radiator with two 12" electric fans installed. Mfr says it will cool up to 900 HP but they had some bad reviews.
Can anybody make a recommendation for an aftermarket radiator supplier that has good quality and service (warranty...will stand by their product).

Iowan 08-31-2018 10:55 AM

Are you sure you don't have a bad head gasket/gaskets?
For radiator manufacturers I've used Griffin and BeCool.

trez681 08-31-2018 11:54 AM

Thanks Iowan...no visible indications of leaky head gaskets...no oil in radiator or water in oil pan. I read another post that suggested no thermostat could allow fluid to flow too fast to cool....???...that's a new one on me. Before fluid gets too hot I can pop the cap and flow looks very good. Don't believe I have rust or sediment but do not have a proper shroud.

Iowan 08-31-2018 12:40 PM

I'd be looking for compression in coolant .

fivepoint 08-31-2018 02:03 PM

Do you have a shroud on the radiator? Is the flex fan large enough? If the temp is fine as long as your moving then it sounds like an air flow problem.

Archer 08-31-2018 02:14 PM

trez -

Let's look at this.
You're fine when driving, but get hot standing still. right?
That "sorta" means your cooling system is working, but doesn't mean it's adequate.
IOWs, you don't have enough air flow through the radiator at idle.

A 4 row radiator and electric fans would solve the problem, but you may not need to go that far.
(That setup also requires your electrical system is up to the increase draw. A stronger than stock alternator and the wiring has to be up to it.)

Things to check:
Do you have the biggest flex fan going, Think I have a Moroso 19" seven blade.
Is it set to optimal shroud depth, (you do have a shroud,right)?
The no t-stat thing may help or hurt, try a 160*. May keeps the water in the radiator longer.
While only a temporary fix, try a bottle or two of wet water/water wetter, any flavor. I've use Purple Ice with good, but short lived results, when my motor was fresh. Got a few months at best.
Has the engine been recently rebuilt? If so, it might take a little time for everything to loosen up.
You can go to a smaller fan/water pump pulley.

The 440s can run hot, but most times they are tamable.

Archer

trez681 08-31-2018 02:31 PM

Iowan/Fivepoint and Archer
Many thanks for the input. I've got some things to check now and unfortunately I may have neglected a big one. I know shrouds help but I didn't think that much. I'll also measure the flexi-fan diameter as I'm not sure how big it is.
The engine is well broke-in and runs great...I can drive it pretty much anytime the temps are below 60...even sitting still but in Oklahoma that cuts out ALOT of driving. The thermostat question is the one that has me head scratching. I figured not having one would give max cooling.
I was reading an article in Mopar Muscle just today about the electric fan/wiring/alternator dilemma so you were right on there.
I don't have much room left so optimal shroud depth might not be possible. Is that something that is recommended on the flexi-fan packaging?
Have a great Labor Day weekend