Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   E-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Problems problems problems (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/problems-problems-problems-2974/)

xvodysseusvx 05-06-2009 08:33 AM

Problems problems problems

I have a 76 plymouth gran fury with a 440 engine. I recently replace the edelbrock 1406 with a new thermoquad from summitt. I really don't know how to hook the new thermoquad up to my existing throttle linkage and does it need the throttle position sensor that appears to be missing from the front of the thermoquad. Can someone send me a pic of the correct throttle linkage hookup?? I appreciate it in advance.

scotts74birds 05-06-2009 11:51 AM

Dot think thats the TPS. Its probably the a/c idle solenoid

xvodysseusvx 05-11-2009 01:47 PM

I got the carb hooked up and she would only run if I revved it up. Come to find out the engine had an intake gasket bolt missing in the back by the firewall causing a vacuum leak. We took off the intake and gasket and found not only was the bolt missing but has been drilled into like the guy was trying to remove a broken bolt or something and got carried away. Now I've got real problems. This bolt is in the engine block. I can't even get it to a machine shop. Any suggestions to finish drilling or boring this hole out or removing the bolt?? Something is obviously broken off down there cause even a ez out don't work and you cannot even get a drill bit to go thru the old bolt or whatever. Does not look good I would sure hate to have to replace a block just for this.

Polaradude 05-11-2009 04:07 PM

Do you think there would be anything left if you took the intake off ? Like a piece of the bolt to grab, ya know what I mean. Or enough there to heat around it and then try the ez out/drill combo. Sounds like a nightmare bro, keep us posted and we will help if we can.

scotts74birds 05-11-2009 07:58 PM

K, is there any part of the bolt still exposed above the surface? Very important!!! What I've seen the toolmakers do at work is take a correctly sized nut and place it over the stud and puddle or plug weld the nut to the broken stud and then just unscrew it cause the heat from wwelding loosened the whole thing up. Good luck!

xvodysseusvx 05-12-2009 08:18 AM

We have removed the intake mani and there is nothing even close to the surface just looks like someone tried to drill about 1/16 of an inch, no threading, no bolt head, a mess where they have tried to drill it out.

Polaradude 05-12-2009 12:29 PM

Is there enough metal around where it went in to try a drill/easy out/Moovit and a little heat ?

xvodysseusvx 05-13-2009 11:26 AM

no it is flattened out. I am thinking maybe we can rethread the hole with a little bigger bolt, I really don't like helicoils.

scotts74birds 05-13-2009 01:18 PM

Dont be so quick to dismiss heli-coils. Properly done they are plenty tough.

challenger 05-23-2009 11:19 PM

the only problem with heli's is they are only so long from your local parts store at least what i have come across but there are companies out there that do make longer ones so maybe some one here might no where and i no they do work good when installed properly :)

richinny 05-24-2009 10:07 AM

the short one should do just fine. just don't lift the engine from there. all you're doing is holding the manifold in place.

challenger 06-25-2009 01:17 PM

did you geter fixed ??????? :)

Trail Duster 06-25-2018 04:38 PM

Bolt is in head, not block for manifold.

Myself, I would pull the head and have that repaired right. Then put it together and not fret no further.
And check the rest of those holes. And finally I would use new stainless bolts to make ir perfect.