Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   E-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Rallye Wheels and Trim Rings? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/rallye-wheels-trim-rings-126/)

filmsurgeon 03-10-2007 11:43 PM

Rallye Wheels and Trim Rings?

2 Attachment(s)
Fellow Members,

I am wanting to change my current wheels from Weld Racing Prostars to Mopar Rallye Wheels. I bought a 1970 Challenger Convertible resto-mod in June '06 that was mini-tubbed ~ 3" and had a leaf spring relocation kit installed (very professional job by the previous owner). In addition, an 'A' body 8.75 rear end was utilized giving a lot of room for really wide tires. The previous owner's choice for rear tire/wheel combo was 15"x10" Weld Prostar with 315/60-15 BFG Drag Radial TA (13.5" section width on a 10" rim). I will either look to Stockton Wheels or Wheel Vintiques for a wider, custom size. This is because I'm not fond of the "balloony" look of the sidewalls with the tire's bead being pulled in on the 15x10s. The sidewalls on the fronts look nice and fairly square with 15x7 and 215/70-15 BFG Radial TAs. Although BFG states a max rim width of 11" for the 315/60-15, I have room for a 12" wheel and I don't think the extra inch will cause too much trouble with the tire. Plus, I feel that the extra 2" on the rim width will help me on the "balloony" look. The back spacing on the Welds is 5.5 inches. When I order the 15x12s, I will be asking for a 7.5" back spacing due to the added 2" (it's the inside where all the extra room is). The standard trim ring will work fine for the fronts, but the rears are another story (since the front spacing will be deeper than standard due to the 12" rim width and the 7.5" bs). Does anyone know of a way to deal with the rear wheels (regarding trim rings) to get close to the look that the fronts will have with the trim rings installed? A standard trim ring on a 15x12 rallye wheel with a 7.5" bs will leave a rather large space between the inside edge of the ring and the front side of the wheel center. Has anyone ever heard or known of way to get custom trim rings?

Thanks

1973dodgechallenger340 09-05-2008 03:08 PM

Yeah, people out there make them, but they dont look very correct because of the "ridges" on the outer edge of the trim ring. It honestly looks goofy. but so does a huge gap.