Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Classic Trucks (pre-1972) (https://moparforums.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   replacing a shift shaft seal in a 727 tranny (https://moparforums.com/forums/f15/replacing-shift-shaft-seal-727-tranny-4512/)

72D100dodge 10-21-2009 07:47 AM

replacing a shift shaft seal in a 727 tranny

how do i replace a shift shaft seal in my 727 tranny?

blue 68 gts 12-05-2009 04:39 AM

Pull the pan off, pull the valvebody out. You should see the insides of the trans. Seal should be on the casing right under the valve body

OutlawCuda 12-06-2009 11:39 AM

Hi welcome to the sight. If you do a search 727 Trans Leak - Selector Shaft Seal? You will find all the info you need. I can also email you a page from the service manual if you need it.

Robert 04-15-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawCuda (Post 33955)
Hi welcome to the sight. If you do a search 727 Trans Leak - Selector Shaft Seal? You will find all the info you need. I can also email you a page from the service manual if you need it.

hey outlaw could you e-mail me that service page for the selector seal replacement. i'm not a mech. but i can fallow directions do you think i can do thins myself? just paid to have front seal and pan gasket replaced and still have the same leak @#$% it love my D 200 and want to keep it in good shape really glad i found this sight well thanks for any help you can offer
Robert

Robert 04-15-2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 84834)
hey outlaw could you e-mail me that service page for the selector seal replacement. i'm not a mech. but i can fallow directions do you think i can do thins myself? just paid to have front seal and pan gasket replaced and still have the same leak @#$% it love my D 200 and want to keep it in good shape really glad i found this site well thanks for any help you can offer
Robert

TVLynn 04-15-2012 07:15 PM

IT can be done without dropping the pan but it is a "B" without the correct tool. I would advise buying an extra seal..if you try. Other wise drop the pan and remove the valve body to gain access to the seal. A large C clamp and some sockets helps press the seal into place. I like to used Permatex with the brush, light coat on the trans / seal surface..
Don't forget to lube the seal surface- light coat of silicon grease works or just some trans fluid. It's a bit pricy The later 518 trans uses a black reinforced gasket that will not leak...
There is also a small seal in the shifter levers too, under the washer/ C clip