Fuel Pump Change...Now other issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Change...Now other issues

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 1953 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe. The owner gave me a new fuel pump that he had, along with the car. He told me he had planned to change it but did not. He mentioned that if the car sat for extended periods it was hard to start until fuel pressure was restored. He told me the pump should be changed. The car seemed to run fine for the first week. How it was being used almost daily.

The next weekend I decided to change the fuel pump as previous owner suggested. I started the job to quickly learn that the fuel pump was not the correct part. Hmm. I wonder if he knew that? Makes no difference anyway, buyer beware, so I ordered a new fuel pump.

I installed the new fuel pump this morning. It was an easy job. I also replaced the flex line from the pump to the steel fuel line that runs along under the radiator. Someone had installed an inline fuel filter canister between the fuel pump and the carb. I also replaced the two small connector hoses there and new hose clamps all around.

The car started right up. I could see fuel in the glass bowl in the new pump.
All seemed well. So my 18 year old son and his girl went out for a quick ride. He called me and noted that there was a whistling noise coming from the car, and that it had stalled 2 or three times while idling at a stop light.

He proceeded to drive home. Then I got a call 5 mins later he was dead in the middle of a busy road. They managed to push the car into a parking lot.
I grabbed a handful of tools and my old removed fuel pump and headed there to the car.

Through some quick trouble shooting, I found the car was starving for fuel. I pulled the new fuel pump to inspect it. It seemed to be sucking and pushing just fine when I manipulated the lever by hand. I deduced the fuel pump was not pulling any fuel. He told me the fuel gauge was no longer working either. Hmm. I estimated that they ran it out of fuel. I put in 2 gallons from a Jerry Can. Sure enough, the fuel gage came up. The car started.

I headed directly to the gas station to find I could only squeeze in about 3 gallons of fuel. I physically watched the fuel level in the fill hose. It burbled a few times and settled down. I kept topping it up until fuel was seen right up to the brim. It was full. From apparently out of gas to full to the brim, 5 gallons? No way. The tank is bigger than that.

I estimate the previous owner may have installed an incorrect fuel pick up tube maybe. The tube can't pull fuel once it's suspended in air inside the tank. If it's too short. Am I on the right track here? Previous owner did tell me he installed a new fuel level gauge. Hmm. More questions than answers here.

So anyway, I proceed to drive home. I can hear a slight whistling too from the engine compartment. I pull over and have a listen. Hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. Almost sounds like the carb to me. I rev up the engine, it goes away. At idle it started to come back. Not sure what is causing that.

Carrying one home, I found that under heavy full load pulling a hill, the engine seems to be starving for as much fuel as it needs. Loss of engine power and surging. I backed off the throttle and the problem stopped. Floored it again, pulling hard up a hill, it sputters again. No stalling. backed up the throttle and drove home with out further incident.

Car idled well at home. Letting it cool down before I go back to check a few things.

The only other thing I did today was dump the oil bath filter oil and wipe out the bowl clean. I re-filled the oil to the mark inside the bowl.
Is it possible I have too much oil in the bowl? Could too much oil cause it to restrict air flow? I had no hesitation on the hill home before I changed the fuel pump. Maybe I put the inline fuel filter between the pump and carb, on backwards. Better go check that.

I have a couple of things to figure out here. Any comments, tips are welcome. That way when I am digging in I have some ideas what to look for.
I think I'll start by dropping the fuel tank and checking out the fuel pickup tube.

Thanks in advance for any tips. - Keith
Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
I think your on the rite track.... Pull and check the tank and hardware. Check the fuel line itself for restriction, Blow it out good. Also sounds like the Carb might have gotten some trash sucked into it, Might take it apart and clean and blow it out good. With that said, I have seen some of these whistle, but very few, on those we had to ether turn the idle up or turn it down to make it go away.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:52 PM

Drained tank and dropped it. See pic below. It appears that the fuel pick up screen assembly was originally tacked to the tank floor. Tack weld broke. Pick up screen assy is now moving around in the tank, not staying on the bottom. That explains why I was only able to get 5 more gallons in the tank, yet symptom was fuel pump was not pulling fuel. I wonder if that screen becomes slightly buoyant and flops around?

You can still see the original piece still tacked to the tank floor.

Thinking I will get a certified welder to cut access hole in top of fuel tank. Re-tack weld the pick up screen in place. Then re-weld the cut access hole. Will have to be air tight weld.

Last edited by Keithb7; 05-28-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 AM
Mopar Lover

It was just held with the one tab?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 PM

It appears to have two tabs to support it. However only one tab tack welded to the tank bottom to keep it in place.

I took it to a local rad shop today. They think they can solder the one tab back to the tank floor, through the two access ports. Maybe. I am waiting for a follow up call. Possibly they may not need to cut open the tank. Keeping my fingers crossed. They seem to have lots of experience welding fuel tanks if necessary.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Well... Will keep our fingers crossed that the sender still works when its all done....
Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM

All fixed! I took the fuel tank to to a rad shop. They boiled it. Inside and out was spotless. They soldered the mounting tab back in place. Then coated the out side of the tank in new black paint. Tank now looks new. I took tank home this evening and installed it. Blew air though the fuel line from the pump back, before hooking up fuel line to tank. Some dirty fuel came out. System is now all clean. I put in about 6.5 gallons of fuel in the bone dry tank. Fired up the car in no time. Pick up strainer seems to working as it should. Now I need to road test it.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Mopar Lover

ROAD TRIP.... SURF UP !!!!!!! WOOOHOOOO !!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Road trip tested! All good. Happy camper here.