Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   94-Current Dodge Trucks (https://moparforums.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   little help with purchase? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f18/little-help-purchase-20667/)

mopartruck 09-02-2017 09:47 AM

little help with purchase?

Hi everyone

I am looking to get back into a ram and I began looking for a used ram 1500 with v8 - although I wish they would still make manual trans. - apparently they do not. I have started my search with mid to low 2000's. I have found a few with 50-70k miles that seem pretty well equipped. (4x4, slt, quad cab - but I am not sure the quad will be necessary) prices seem to range from 15k-middle 20's. I guess my question is what to watch for in those years? were there any trans. problems? Also is the coveted 5.7 that much better than the 4.7 v8 (granted one is about 350ci and the other is probably about 289ish?). I had a 4.7 man. Dakota before - but that was a while ago.

I am just getting starting gathering info and taking rides - but I had hoped I could call on some of those with much more knowledge and experience to maybe help get me started.

any thoughts or opinions - are greatly appreciated.
thanks very much

Sean

jtrevwillingham 12-12-2017 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mopartruck (Post 141090)
Hi everyone

I am looking to get back into a ram and I began looking for a used ram 1500 with v8 - although I wish they would still make manual trans. - apparently they do not. I have started my search with mid to low 2000's. I have found a few with 50-70k miles that seem pretty well equipped. (4x4, slt, quad cab - but I am not sure the quad will be necessary) prices seem to range from 15k-middle 20's. I guess my question is what to watch for in those years? were there any trans. problems? Also is the coveted 5.7 that much better than the 4.7 v8 (granted one is about 350ci and the other is probably about 289ish?). I had a 4.7 man. Dakota before - but that was a while ago.

I am just getting starting gathering info and taking rides - but I had hoped I could call on some of those with much more knowledge and experience to maybe help get me started.

any thoughts or opinions - are greatly appreciated.
thanks very much

Sean

Im among the saddest to see the manual trans fade from the order form on the gas powered trucks, ill never own an auto. But, they did make the stick as an option up to 2008 I believe but they can be a little tougher to find. The 5.7 is a great motor, I personally have a 2006 with 265k on it and have only replaced the oil, water pump, and thermostat. The power output of the 5.7 is incredible over the previous gen magnum 5.9l and uses better gaskets, seals, and materials. I haven't personally owned a 4.7 but have two friends that have had head problems on them due to the EGR system. The heads on those are notorious to fatigue and crack and thats not fun to deal with. Id keep your eye out for a stick 5.7, but if you get an auto (64RFE) prepare to put a shift kit in it and definitely add an external cooler for capacity and cooling.