Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   94-Current Dodge Trucks (https://moparforums.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Need help with a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 (https://moparforums.com/forums/f18/need-help-1999-dodge-ram-1500-a-2529/)

Ekimwood 03-13-2009 06:42 PM

Need help with a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500

Im looking at rebuilding the truck i have there is a 360 in it right now. but i was wondering what other engine would work for this type of truck or would be easy to set in. If not would it be wiser to just rebuild the engine i have now with high performance parts. I also would like help on what type of transmission i should use. Any help would be well appreciated.

78D200 03-13-2009 08:24 PM

Welcome to the forum.

For rebuilding the motor/swapping, it all depends on how you plan on using the truck and what your willing to spend. If there is a problem with the motor, look at what it would cost to rebuild/fix it compaired to just swapping in another 360 or 318.

As far as the tranny goes, I would keep the one that you have and just have it rebuilt if it needs it.

If you want performance, you can get a little with a complete exhaust system (header and all), cold air intake, programmer, underdrive pulley, etc. You can get more with a cam, intake, injestors, reprogramming the computer but you are going to be paying a lot more.

Ekimwood 03-13-2009 10:13 PM

what i hope to do

What i hope to do is make it a more of a high performance street truck something with a good enough amount of horse power to reallly get up and go. I was looking at spending about 15k-20k on rebuilding. The 360 in it right now seems to run good. Im kind of new to the whole rebuilding i know what parts are what and were they go i just dont know what would work for what if any one knows some where i can find info like that to it would be nice. like wwere i would get a highperformance rebuild kit if i were to go that way.

78D200 03-14-2009 02:29 AM

There are some books out there on hot rodding a Mopar small block (LA I think). There are intakes out there for the Magnum motors, they just cost $500 to $600. That alone will get you some better numbers and increase your power range. Roller rockers, headers, tuners, injectors, cam and lifter kits, intakes, air intakes, exhaust systems, ignition upgrades,

Start looking around Summitracing.com for parts for your motor, not your truck. That will give you an idea about what to get.

If your truck is your DD right now then you might want to look into getting a spare Magnum 360 and building that. Also remember that you'll have to build your tranny and rest of the driveline to handle the power.

Ekimwood 03-14-2009 07:39 PM

just some more info

Im not to worried about the truck being down for a while i have another car and i wont be back from over seas for three years. im trying to study up on things so that way i know what im getting. I planned on rebuilding or replacing the whole drive train.

78D200 03-15-2009 04:40 AM

Since your truck is not your DD, take your time with it, make sure that you have all the parts that you are going to need also. You could always bore out the cylinders as well.