Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Dodge Dakota (https://moparforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Shelby Dakota Antilock brake (https://moparforums.com/forums/f20/shelby-dakota-antilock-brake-14524/)

Sport Fury GT 03-26-2013 03:01 PM

Shelby Dakota Antilock brake

The 'Antilock" light is lit on my dash and I'm wondering how to get it off without visiting a dealer if possible. Any clues or ideas are welcomed.

jacilynn_s 03-26-2013 03:53 PM

The light goes on for a few reasons really. THe most common is air in the brake system making the cylinder malfunction. Bleed brake system and see if that fixes it.

Second most common is broken wiring going to the cylinder in the back.

If none of those fix it. You can override the code via a code reader with function, remove the light bulb for it in the dash, or go visit the dealer and spend $400 for a new valve and install.

I hate ABS.

PK1 03-26-2013 03:54 PM

Most Auto zone stores will pull the code for you. The system is very simple. Get the code for us.

Sport Fury GT 04-01-2013 11:59 AM

Second brake issue. The parking brake cable is unattached inside the drum. There is a metal bracket the end of the cable is supposed to fit in, but that piece is missing. I'm not sure what the piece is called, but if anyone could give me that info or has them for sale, your help is appreciated.

78D200 04-01-2013 01:19 PM

ABS light could be one due to low fluid, faulty proportioning valve, master cylinder malfuctions, ABS module, etc. A code helps if you can have one pulled.

As for the bracket, I think it's called parking brake lever. I may be wrong. Rockauto may have it.

TVLynn 04-01-2013 02:02 PM

Rusty ABS wheel sensors maybe

bremereric 04-01-2013 07:12 PM

Mine came on just from low fuild. I had one of the banjo washer too loose up front and slowly lost some fuild.

jacilynn_s 04-02-2013 02:05 PM

guys this is an 89 dakota. The engine codes are blink off the dash. A code reader will just say the same code as the dash.

Its also the early anti lock brake system with the rear valve body that loves to seize up and the combination valve that had the bottom rubber that disintegrates putting air into the system.

In the rear drum there is a bar that goes from the front shoe to the rear. On the rear shoe is a lever that fits into the triangle type hole at the top and goes to the bottom where the cable pulls on it. Usually they hide behind the shoe so check again. If it is missing it means someone removed it. Find out what size brakes you have. 10 or 11 x 2.5. Go to a salvage yard find brakes of the same size be it cars or trucks, abs or non abs for 87-91 and grab the lever. I would suggest working the cables loose on both sides as well as the one into the truck.