Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Viper / SRT-10 Ram (https://moparforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Soon to be destroyed V-10 Viper... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f23/soon-destroyed-v-10-viper-764/)

blue 68 gts 02-23-2008 06:38 PM

Soon to be destroyed V-10 Viper...

Hello,

Well, in my Auto Shop class, we have a prototype V-10 Viper. Red w/ tan leather int. Not sure of the year though. It's been pretty beat up. Some not too bright kids in earlier classes tried to place it on one of the lifts, and put the lift spots on the wrong spot underneath, and place a few good sized dents into it. As well as these same kids have torn the engine apart and put it back together, so I'm guessing it doesn't run too well.

Anyways, long story short, this Viper was donated by Chrysler a while back, and I was checking it out and all, and noticed on the back where the license plate should be was a paper stuck on there.

"This vehicle was donated by Chrysler corp. On completion of use, this vehicle must be destroyed."

Sad to say... :(

Liu Kang 02-27-2008 05:20 AM

so you have any photos? what year? so when all is said and done, this has to be destroyed in the end?

SmellyHemi 02-27-2008 06:19 AM

WHAT !!!!!! :eek:

Auto shop class , awe maaan nothing like that when i was at school , probly not too many over here NOW either.

And thats pretty awesome of Chrysler to donate such a beast .

good story too , would love to be around ..well a fair distance off actualy when they fire it up .

I once seen a bunch of yobo's pull apart a Subaru engine , only to put it back together without a single gasket & the thing started up & coughed , splattered , chugged & choked it's way down the road , leaving a massive oil trail till it stopped dead about 500mtrs away . :(

blue 68 gts 02-27-2008 03:05 PM

I have no idea what year it is. Vipers are one of the many Mopar's I don't follow the years in.

I could possibly get pictures, doubt it though. I'll let you know.

Sad to hear about the Subie. :(

dartcuda 10-28-2008 04:48 AM

viper

:cool:Are they willing to sell parts. I need a viper transmission

78D200 10-28-2008 10:36 AM

i took some auto classes in college and the only want to get rid of them is to crush them or give them to a high school.

challenger 10-29-2008 07:42 PM

BUMMER but guess its like a scrap yard where they send there parts that dont make quality , they have to crush and chip them into scrap for remelting , i had to weld up a crusher for a yard once and they have security 24/7 so no one takes anything for there use even if its a brand new motor or anything of value , it was rough watching new rads and engines get shreded like sticks and then go to melting :(

hypermite 01-04-2009 08:48 PM

The same thing happened at a community college where I was going, but it was two Dodge Shelby Daytona's, donated by Chrysler. The only stipulation was,they could never leave the campus. so the auto tech class turned them into campus security vehicles! As far as I know they are still in service.

67 GTX 01-05-2009 01:00 PM

what happened to the viper?

blue 68 gts 01-07-2009 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GTX (Post 10166)
what happened to the viper?

You're going to laugh.

At the end of my auto 1/2 class (only 1 sem long) a kid was using a scan tool on it with a buddy of mine.

The kid started it up and off she went. Through the CLOSED bay door, under a lift that had a Honda CRV on it. Took off the plate that covers the lift wires. Almost knocked the CRV off the lift.

Then it plowed into tables that some other people were loading engines on, and partly through the welding station as well. One of the welders was/is deaf. (was because it happened last year, is because were in advanced auto). Viper plowed into him. Luckily somehow, he "jumped" and more or less rolled off the hood to the side.

THEN, the moron gets out as our 22 year old teacher slides across the shop. He literally slid for about 25 ft... the freaking car is burning rubber pinned up against 3 tables because of how much torque it has. Our teacher kept saying "SHUT IT OFF" and the kid kept saying "I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED" and "IT WASNT ME!". Eventually the teacher got around to the ignition and shut it off.

Right now, it's in a repair shop. Hasnt been in our shop all year. that kid never did come back to advanced auto.

Funny thing he told me:

"I know how to drive a stick". Obviously, he didn't. Because what happened what he started it up, and just let the clutch go, IN FIRST GEAR. He said "I tried to slam on the brakes". But with a car with that much torque doing that, first thing you do is put clutch in.

So yea, anyways...

67 GTX 01-08-2009 01:11 PM

Haha:D
that's something that you usually see happen in movies
oh that poor viper
haha:D

smackhonda 01-08-2009 03:41 PM

Thats pretty funny, when I was in tech school we had a lot of bone heads like that! It takes all kinds

blue 68 gts 01-08-2009 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GTX (Post 10262)
Haha:D
that's something that you usually see happen in movies
oh that poor viper
haha:D

Yea, you're telling me! Interesting day, thats for sure.

I was in the "back" of the shop (opposite the bay doors) using a brake lathe. I was on the slow cut, so I turned around to watch what people were doing. Then "VROOMMMMMMMM.... SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHH".

It was unreal. Not something you see everyday. People started jumping, and one moron almost trampled me right as i was standing at the brake lathe. Not that the brake lathe was in front of the car, was off the side a bit.

so thats the story...

67 GTX 01-09-2009 03:07 PM

haha
what a comedy:D

tice 10-17-2009 12:35 PM

wow, what a tool...my other car is a stick and i dont let anybody touch it unless i know they own a stick of their own and have had it for at least a year, my brother "learned" how to drive stick and decided he knew enough to move my car around in the driveway while i was asleep on morning, the clutch was bad when i bought it but he toasted what was left on it, never again will he touch that car lol

1OldFordMan 03-12-2010 03:32 AM

My car is currently at the Tech School near where I live & they've got at least 2 or 3 vehicles sitting up there with magnetic signs on the door like that. " This car was donated & must be destroyed when finished ". Know one is form Chrysler & 1 FORD. Although I don't think the FORD says it has to be destroyed, just that it was donated by them.

68lover 05-14-2010 08:39 AM

Man, the most we got in shop was a crappy block that had been rebuilt 100 times.

TVLynn 12-19-2011 05:04 PM

In my teen years I was walking past the local gas station And got to see a 57 T'bird come flying out of the service bay backwards and into the gas pumps.. Fortunately no fire...

Mopar Bill 12-19-2011 06:25 PM

Third day of driving school I watached a guy look control of a Peterbilt and plow into 6 parked cars as he drove down the street. The guy somehow made it back to the shop, got out and said "That people is what not to do."

It was the teacher........ all coked out.

After that I knew I still wanted to drive trucks, just didn't want to learn there.