Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Current Jeep Models (https://moparforums.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   Will any Cherokee 4.0l 6 cyl. fit in any Wrangler? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f29/will-any-cherokee-4-0l-6-cyl-fit-any-wrangler-11201/)

lgad 12-08-2011 07:34 AM

Will any Cherokee 4.0l 6 cyl. fit in any Wrangler?

I was thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler that needed a motor and finding a donor Cherokee to snatch the lung out of, but was concerned about mounts/hookups/etc. Will any Cherokee bolt right into a Wrangler, as long as they are the same (ie 4cyl or 6cyl) size? Thanks for any feed back!

78D200 12-08-2011 09:08 AM

The block and cylinder head between the Cherokee 4.0L and Wrangler 4.0L are the same. Wiring harness, intake manifold, injectors, throttle bodies differ between the standard 4.0L and 4.0L HO motors.

Is the Wrangler a YJ or TJ? What year Wrangler?

lgad 12-08-2011 09:37 AM

I'm thinking about buying a YJ, I used to have a 92 model, but not sure at this point. I've seen a few out there, and for less than the $5K (& up) that most folks are asking for theirs, I think I could build one a about $2K cheaper. I could be wrong, have been before. Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it!

LG

lgad 12-08-2011 10:19 AM

I had saw a couple of ads on craigslist that got me thinking that it might would be a little cheaper if I built it myself, unless I find someone that's "GOT" to sell, then it would always be cheaper! I know Jeeps retain their value, not questioning that at all. I just think that some are over priced. Earlier this year, I saw an ad for a YJ that wasn't running, the guy wanted $2K, I figured if I looked long enough I'd find a Cherokee (possibly a wrecked one?) for a donor, then sell the body of the Cherokee for scrap, slide the old indian lung in the Wrangler, and for about $2.5 to $3K, I'd be in a nice early 90's YJ. I know it's a lot of work, don't doubt it. But I think it's do-able. Thanks again for the info. I'm still looking, as it is I have too many projects now! I'd love to find my son a mid-80's 4x4 like the 86 that's for sale in the classifieds on here! Looks awesome!