Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Cuda Specific Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   1970 Cuda temp gauge inop (https://moparforums.com/forums/f30/1970-cuda-temp-gauge-inop-3469/)

cletis 07-02-2009 03:19 PM

1970 Cuda temp gauge inop

Greetings all, I have a 70 Cuda 440 in my shop, and the temp gauge does not work. I see a sender below and to the right of the thermostat housing. I wiggled it and nothing happened. I will tell you that I ran the tag on the L.F. fenderwell, and this car was originally a 318 at car. I does have a temp gauge, but no oil pressure gauge. The wiring harness in the engine compartment does have some war wounds. Before I go on a witch hunt a few pointers would be a big help. I must admit that I am really a Chevy guy, and a bit new to the Mopar world. I have one other client that will tell all of you to speak slowly, and talk to like I am not to bright. HEY! i AM A CHEVY GUY! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

elsewhere 07-13-2009 07:36 PM

Does the gas gauge work? There is a voltage limiter in between the fuel and Temperature gauge. It is a small silver rectangular box. It reduces the 12 volts down to 5 volts for the temp and gas gauge. One wire on the temp gauge goes to the water temp sending unit and the other wire goes to the voltage limiter. If you remove and ground the sending unit wire the temp gauge will peg out the the Hot side meaning that the sending unit is bad.

theomahamoparguy 07-13-2009 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by elsewhere (Post 24532)
Does the gas gauge work? There is a voltage limiter in between the fuel and Temperature gauge. It is a small silver rectangular box. It reduces the 12 volts down to 5 volts for the temp and gas gauge. One wire on the temp gauge goes to the water temp sending unit and the other wire goes to the voltage limiter. If you remove and ground the sending unit wire the temp gauge will peg out the the Hot side meaning that the sending unit is bad.

x3. {mopar action website has an article about mopar gauges}

cletis 08-15-2009 04:42 PM

I fixed it! The PO had wired the sender to the wrong wire, and the sender was bad. Checked the old sender with a DVOM, and it was bad. Replaced the sender, and still no soap. Found the correct wire in the BAD harness, and it now works. I recommended to the owner that we replace the wiring harnesses in the engione compartment because of the dozen or so butt connectors, and the bare/burned connectors. He listened carefully, and took the car. 2 weeks later it quit while driving, and we ordered all of the wire, and now everything works!!

koondawg_74 roadrunner 09-24-2009 06:14 PM

wow im having the same problem with my roadrunner. Neither the temperature or pressure gauge work

fury360 06-01-2011 04:29 PM

Hi all,

I am having the same problem, only intermittent, sometimes the TEMP gauge works, sometimes no?? Any ideas? '73 Plymouth furyIII, 360. The wire itself is in ok shape. I cleaned the little end connector, squeezed it closed as to have a nice snug fit. No luck.