Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Street n Strip (https://moparforums.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   318 Magnum heads swap to LA block (https://moparforums.com/forums/f32/318-magnum-heads-swap-la-block-20493/)

Mak 07-14-2017 02:01 PM

318 Magnum heads swap to LA block

Hello all, I'd like to start this out by saying that I apologize in advance because there is probably a thread for this somewhere but I was unable to locate it as I am brand new to this site and I'm not quite familiar with it yet.

Here's my conundrum: I am starting out with a 1990 318 small block. I would like to put Magnum heads on it from a 1995 318 small block. In order to do this, I believe will need "custom" pushrods "with oiling provisions" that are 7.650" long. (Comp Cams 7960) From what I have read, it seems to me that the Comp Cams 280H camshaft would best fit my application. This cam kit (Comp Cams "K-kit" k20-233-4) comes with a cam (obviously), a spring set, retainers, and new lifters "with oiling provisions".

So now that the motor has lifters and pushrods "with oiling provisions" how does that work? What do I have to do in order to push the oil through the the lifters and pushrods in order to get oil to the top end? Or am I miss something here? Can someone please explain?

Coronet 500 07-14-2017 02:51 PM

Welcome.

Look in the lifter valley to see if there are cast in bosses for an OEM roller cam lifter spider, if so you have the option of roller cam.

"oil provisions" means a hole in the lifter pushrod cup to allow oil into the pushrod and up to rockers.

If you go with the .501" lift cam you will need to cut down the valve guides, this can easily be done at home with the Comp Cam cutter like a #4726, this will allow you to run positive valve seals. Check their catalog for correct tool for your head and valve diameter mandrel.

Buy the tools and degree your camshaft when installed, too many have not, had problems and had to take it apart to redo.

That camshaft would not be my first choice.

Mak 07-14-2017 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Coronet 500 (Post 140474)
Welcome.

Look in the lifter valley to see if there are cast in bosses for an OEM roller cam lifter spider, if so you have the option of roller cam.

"oil provisions" means a hole in the lifter pushrod cup to allow oil into the pushrod and up to rockers.

If you go with the .501" lift cam you will need to cut down the valve guides, this can easily be done at home with the Comp Cam cutter like a #4726, this will allow you to run positive valve seals. Check their catalog for correct tool for your head and valve diameter mandrel.

Buy the tools and degree your camshaft when installed, too many have not, had problems and had to take it apart to redo.

That camshaft would not be my first choice.

I'll have to check out the valley tomorrow. What cam would you suggest in order to avoid having to cut the valve guides? I'm getting most of my info from pages that claim I can use Magnum heads and that cam without cutting or machining and everything is all "bolt together".

Gorts 5th 07-14-2017 03:41 PM

Im runing a comp. Dual energy cam/ kit 275 deh.

Mak 07-14-2017 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gorts 5th (Post 140476)
Im runing a comp. Dual energy cam/ kit 275 deh.

With magnum heads?

Coronet 500 07-15-2017 04:44 AM

For any cam recommendation need to know car weight and usage, transmission type, converter stall, rear axle ratio and rear tire size.

Using 2-3 cam manufacturers recommendation forms is best.

Iowan 07-15-2017 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Coronet 500 (Post 140481)
For any cam recommendation need to know car weight and usage, transmission type, converter stall, rear axle ratio and rear tire size.

Using 2-3 cam manufacturers recommendation forms is best.

I agree here, they will get you within a cam or two of what you need.

On a mild build like yours if you're not going to cut the valve guides I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar cam.:)