Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   New Members (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   361engine (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/361engine-21425/)

Reeser 06-09-2018 06:31 AM

361engine

Hello group. So I have a 62 chrysler with a 361. It has a 2bbl carb that it did run fine on but needs complete rebuild bushings and all. So I’ve been contemplating going to a 4bbl intake and carb. Engine ran fine. Had heads gone through about 4K ago and hardened seats put in. I’m pulling engine and trans to do a full reseal. Oil almost comes out as fast as you poor in. Lol. No but kinda. So I’m going to have engine apart.
First thing... will I gain any real amount by going to a 4bbl intake/carb. Was doing on a budget so was just going to find a used intake/carb. I’ve rebuilt several carbs so I’m comfortable with that but does a 383 intake fit a 361? I can find used 383 intakes for 4bbl but people are all over the place wether there both B blocks or 383 a RB. Or is the flo in a new intake just flat that much better?
Next... cam shaft... what’s a good cam to upgrade to that I don’t have to get goofy with rockers and springs and all that. I was it start good and cruise nice like it does but with maybe a little lope too it.
Does anyone have some used stuff from this era? I’m kinda wanting to keep it stock looking.

Coronet 500 06-09-2018 07:17 AM

Welcome.

Checking your valve springs to see if they will do the job, I would change to new springs to match a new camshaft.

I would look at the 383 HP .425/.435" lift 256/260 duration cam but probably go with 440 HP cam, .450/.458" lift 268/284 duration. Valve size you have will decide which one.

Reeser 06-09-2018 09:16 AM

Thanks. Yep found some more info and your numbers look about the same as others out there. I’m not sure if the head builder put new springs in them when I had them done but I know he replaced valves and put in harder seats because they were burnt. If I do a new cam I’m just going to replace the springs and do a kit with all the goodies. I’m just building a good driver like it was but want to get a little more pep in it. I put 40k on this car till it finally just started leaking too much and needed brakes and all the drivetrain gone through and well it’s been 10years since I messed with it. Now all that’s left is motor and trans reseal and hoping to hear it make noise this year.

Coronet 500 06-09-2018 02:32 PM

Well I'm happy I passed your test.